Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

A bucket flew off a commercial truck, wedging under my 2009

Customer Question
Ford Escape for several hundred...
A bucket flew off a commercial truck, wedging under my 2009 Ford Escape for several hundred feet before shattering and flying out the back. My check engine light came on. I took to my mechanic who found the scuff marks from the bucket, but no other obvious damage. The check engine code was P1450 so he diagnosed and replaced part 9U5Z9C915H valve assembly writing that "not sure if all related. . . unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum . . replaced CPV cleared code and retest passes all OK. ." Trucker is attempting to avoid liability because there wasn't direct impact to the failed part. My mechanic agrees no one can positively conclude there ISN'T a relationship between the impact and the part failing/engine light - especially since the two events happened immediately. It's possible an impact can have indirect consequences on other systems leading to failure from the concussion to the vehicle/fuel tank whatever, especially if the part were already weakened. Do you agree?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: lucy7368,
 replied 1 year ago
lucy7368

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

A judge is allowed to draw logical conclusions from the evidence presented to him. If your car was running fine before it got hit by the bucket (traveling at high way speeds) and then the check engine light came on, it seems logical that the first event caused the second. For the trucker to avoid liability, he'd have to provide some evidence from a mechanic that the injury you experienced CANNOT have caused the damage.

In a civil case, you don't need someone to make positive conclusions. The standard of proof is "by a preponderance of the evidence." If beyond a reasonable doubt is 99.99% certainty, a preponderance of the evidence is more like 50.1%. It's a much lower standard. You just have to convince the judge that more likely than not, the trucker's negligence caused your injury, and I think you can do that.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply but I'd asked for a ford mechanic to respond, not the legal analysis. Can I get the mechanics response please?
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the vehicle passing the EVAP tests ok now? Has the check engine light ever came back on?

I would say since this problem happened directly after the accident, I would tend to believe it is a direct result, however I don't know how to exactly prove this unless the 9c915 was damaged or broken. I would alsmost think there would be some damage on the cansiter or the lines to the canister. Since he replaced the 9c915 and it passes, it may have just been time for this solenoid to fail. These solenoids are junk, we replace a ton of those solenoids.

Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott

If you don't have any more questions, please take the time to rate my service as this is how we are paid, if you have more questions, just ask, thanks Scott

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician