Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1989 ford f250 super cab 4x4 new distributor new ignition coil,

Customer Question
plugs wires and battery. it...
1989 ford f250 super cab 4x4 new distributor new ignition coil, plugs wires and battery. it started 4 times drove it around the block and now no spark it will turn over but not completing ignition for run
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: bought it today
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced distributor, wires, plugs, ignition coil, and battery.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Hi,Which engine do you have in your truck?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
351
Do you have a multi-meter to do some testing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes sir
Can you try the following:Perform all testing with the engine in the no start, no spark mode. Unplug the spark output (SPOUT) connector near the ICM and look for spark to return. If spark comes back after the SPOUT connector is unplugged, check the Red (R) wire of the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid or an accessible fuel injector for battery voltage with the ignition switch in the run position. If battery voltage is present on this circuit, check the Orange/White (O/W) wire at the Throttle Position (TP) sensor for a reading of 4.9-5.1 volts. If the R wire at the IAC or injector does not show battery voltage, access the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) power relay located under the driver side of the dash near the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and check for a possible circuit issue of the relay before condemning the relay. If the R wire shows battery voltage and the O/W wire is showing a reading of over 5.1 volts, check the PCM ground circuits for a loss of ground. The main PCM ground circuits of concern are the Black/Light Green (BK/LG) wires at pins 40 and 60 which run to the battery negative post. If there is no spark with the SPOUT connector unplugged, check the Dark Blue (DB) wire of the ICM connection for a 0 to 12-volt square wave when cranking to determine if the distributor pick-up assembly is faulty. I know you said you replaced this, but it could be defective from the factory I suppose.Also check for power to the ICM and ignition coil on the White/Light Blue (W/LB) wire from the ignition switch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
Let me know how it goes and if you need more info.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will thanks
Please don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer knows to pay us.
I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help. Please don't forget to rate.
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician