Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 91 FORD lariat 4x4 P/U with a 5.8 engine. Just had

Customer Question
the silinoid replaced and starter...
I have a 91 FORD lariat 4x4 P/U with a 5.8 engine. Just had the silinoid replaced and starter. Now truck won't start again after one week. When I try to start it, it just makes a thump noise at the silinoid. It has a tendency to have a heavy start anyway. And what I mean by that is. It's feels like the engine is too much for the system. But it starts quick.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
James, Ford Technician
Hello, this is a worn out starter itself. What happens is the starter has enough power to engage but it's no longer strong enough to turn the engine over.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just replaced the starter. Someone said that the newer starters need to be adjusted so the teeth meet up on these Fords
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So I went out and arched the silinoid , and the starter was turning but not engaging the flywheel.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello! Man I've been waiting all day for your response . I told you I had a new stater in the beginning. And your answer is your starter is warn out, so pissed right now. I missed a friends funeral today cause I couldn't get my truck running.
Ford Starters rarely require shimming to engage the flywheel. I have yet to have a Ford Starter I needed to actually adjust. the post originally showed on the phone you replaced the solenoid. The rest of the post wasn't there. If the starter is spinning but not going out to meet the fly wheel then the starter can still be bad even though it is new. Unless the flexplate isn't straight anymore.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I paid for a shop to put in a new starter from Napa, but the starter was bad and I wasted a whole day and had to tow my truck again to the shop. Can I charge Napa with the bill?
That I wouldn't know for sure. I would call Napa and explain to them the situation and see what they can do.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Putting a new starter in now
Sometimes parts stores will pay for warranty labor if there part is bad. What they pay if they do all depends.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mechanic said its a hard start and is concerned about burning the starter out. This is the second starter. So he says he's greasing everything that he can to loosen any thing up. What could we do to ease the problem. The battery is strong enough
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had to replace the alternator too. And now that it is good, battery should be strong because it's new too.
Everything is working now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Caretorecycle. com
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Talked to mechanic and he says he is trying to figure out why it has a hard start he calls it. Mean while I'm without a truck, have lost an important job, and am supposed to be patient after 2 weeks. I pay for justanswer so j can just get an answer , while I'm dying of heart failure. Literally.
So the starter is now working but the vehicle is staring hard?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes
It appears my answer is correct then that I have given you. Trying to diagnose a hard start over the internet can be a very difficult thing to do.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Excuse me , but what was your answer? Please repeat it to me
You had a faulty starter when it wasn't starting. You said earlier the new starter now starts the engine. If the engine is turning over slowly there is probably high resistance in the positive or ground cable. To diagnose it you would have to perform a voltage drop test while trying to start the engine. The voltage shouldn't drop more than .3v when a load is on the actual cable.
James, Ford Technician