Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

After disconnecting the battery and installing a new brake

Customer Question
light switch my fuel gauge...
after disconnecting the battery and installing a new brake light switch my fuel gauge reads empty and display reads fuel comp error on my 2004 taurus
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: after disconnecting and replacing a brake light switch the gas gauge reads empty and the display reads fuel comp error on 2004 taurus
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is new
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: disconnecting ground and restarting
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Disconnecting the battery really shouldn't have been the cause of this unless proper technique wasn't followed and module damage was done.It's more likely that you have a fuel sender or wiring issue. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes, an issue with the sender or it's wiring will set a code. The sender and wiring will likely need to be tested.Do you know if any codes are setting?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician