Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question
***** ***** JA: Thanks. Can you...
***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am trying to install a 5r110 transmission in my Ford truck. But can't get the torque converter lined up to the flex plate. There is no inspection plate on the transmission to remove or on the the engine so and it doesn't take bolts it uses nuts to tighten the torque converter down. So how do I get the studs in the flex plate?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/16/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! What year, model, and engine is in the truck?__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2004 f350 it has a 6.0 diesel
Are you using the lock down tool to hold the torque converter in place?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It did not come with one. The torque converter was shipped in a separate from the transmission
That is 3/4 of your battle. Autozone will have one you can borrow from them for the free borrow tool program. You can lock the torque converter down and it won't move. Otherwise, while installing, it will move all around on you and you will be ready to throw wrenches all over the floor. It make the job way easier to do. I've been down that road and fought for hours with my first when a old tech let me use his and then it took 20 minutes to stab it in... CLICK HERE for the manual info from Ford so you can see what the tool looks like and the part number (in case Autozone needs that). Print this off and take it to them, the first page, so they know what tool it is. I'm not sure if you have an Advanced Auto or O'Reilly's near you, but most of us have a NAPA and they do the same programs at each one of those places.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is my only vehicle to get around and I live 85 miles from autozone. Is there another way to do it
You can try using a bar to turn it as you stab it, but you'll still be fighting it. That is the only options you have, unfortunately.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How far can I slide the torque converter off the shaft of the transmission to get the studs in the holes
About 1/4". More than that and you will lose the alignment.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Once the studs are in the holes where is the access point to tighten them down
Do you have a leather strap or a piece of rope? Throw it over the converter where you can hold it in place as you stab or move the converter back and forth as you stab, then you can yank it out as the studs are started. You'll want something to keep that converter in place. That is why you are fighting it because it is moving on you. On the question that just came in, through the plate access on the front of the bell housing or through the starter if needed (in case yours doesn't have that plate). You turn the engine with the crank and you tighten one by one.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to g through the starter port is there a special wrench I need to use to tighten the nuts. I mean is it bent or twisted a certain way compared to a regular one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't a socket or rachet in there I tried whe I first removed the transmission
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a different tool to use
No there isn't. You don't have the inspection hole on the driver side of the transmission bell housing? Was that replaced with the transmission? How did you get the old one off without it?
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.Did you still need assistance with this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The transmission is installed but the truck does not run due to the wiring.. The part is obsolete. The Ford dealer can't even get the part because they do not make it anymore
Which part is obsolete? These parts are still used on the newer trucks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The transmission wiring harness. Ford motor company does not make them anymore. Nor do any aftermarket places.
I'm going to opt out for I know that isn;t true. I just did one on a 2002. Good day.
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Different tech here, would you like me to try and help?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes. Where can I get a transmission wiring harness for a 2004 f350 with a 5r110w transmission. The dealer can't find one there computer says it's obsolete Ford motor company says they don't make the anymore and the junkyard does not have any
Do you know the wire harness part number they tried to find?Can I get your zip code?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4C3Z15525GA
85326 is the zip
Odd I show the part not discontinued. http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-wire-asy_4c3z-15525-ga.html?Make=Ford&Model=F250+Super+Duty&Year=2004&Submodel=&Filter=() Lets say it is and the parts website I use is wrong. The late 03 and early 04 5R110 used pressure sensors in the transmission. They were discontinued and no longer used after that. If you purchased a replacement harness or solenoid body, the wiring and sensors were not there to be used. You should be just fine using a 04-10 wire harness. I used http://car-part.com/I searched for your transmission to see if there were any of these vehicles near you that you could go this wire harness from.There are about 100 within 500 miles of you. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician