Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Explorer xlt: 2005 Ford explorer random battery drain. Battery,alternator

Customer Question
2005 Ford explorer random battery...
2005 Ford explorer random battery drain. Battery,alternator are new. Was testing and noticed that the ignition relay has battery voltage on the farthest forward position, both sides have ground and the farthest to the rear has no power or ground...tested another explorer 2002 and that far terminal is a ground. I took under hood fuse block apart and that terminal has a white wire with purple stripe,it is a thicker gauge wire. I am not sure if this is causing my random short...but assuming there is a short as this is the only issue I see that appears different than the other explorer. Would a short to the white and purple wire cause a random dead battery. I have tracked that wire into the drivers side side where the main group of wires come in and it goes to a connection
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/12/2016
Ford Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Andrew Martin
Hello, shorts will not cause a dead battery. The way you find a drain is you remove the negative cable from the battery, set your multi meter to mA (milli Amps) and place one lead on the negative cable, and another lead on the negative terminal of the battery. Let it sit there with the key off for a while, then check the meter. Most vehicles should not have more than 40mA when everything is shut off and the key is out. If you have a lot more than this, what you need to do is remove each fuse one by one until the drain goes away. That will tell you what circuit the drain is on, and you can either replace a part or it will lead you to finding a wiring issue. It could be that the relay is stuck on and that is causing a drain, so you could try removing that as well during testing.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that tomorrow, could you tell me what the white wire with purple tracer coming out of the ignition relay is supposed to be ? Positive or ground? Where does this wire go? I must have a short and a drain...thank you very much
Ford Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
I do not have access to my wiring diagrams right now so I'll have to get back to you on that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK let me know if you can. This vehical has been to a Ford dealership and a local shop and now was brought to me..no one was able to figure it out yet
Ford Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Will do. Drains can be a real hard thing to find especially since you almost never see them happen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so could not read mill amps as they were too high..so in amps have 3.61 if I pull fuse 15 in engine compartment it goes down to 0.10
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should add that at 0.10 amps that is still too high but fuse 15 is definitely taking alot of juice
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I pull the gauge clusters 2 plug ins the amp reading goes down to 0.10 amps..so I am guessing the gauge cluster is bad..could the stepper motors cause that big of a short?
Ford Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Yeah i see fuse 15 as controlling the cluster so I'd say that is your issue. There is a module inside the cluster so yeah it could cause that big of a draw.
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin