Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Ford Expeoditon, Eddie Bauer: Greg. I have. 1999 Ford Expedition,

Customer Question

Greg. I have. 1999 Ford Expedition, the Eddie Bauer version. The window for the drivers side won't go up or down. All other windows are fine. I've looked at the switch plate and all wires appear to be intact. As a result, I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the issue can you assist
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additionally, when I press the button for the window to go down, I hear a clicking sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light?If not, pick one up for $5 and let me know when you are ready to do some testing and in the meantime I will get the wiring diagram.I might need to know some more info though, such as what engine came in this, 2wd or 4wd, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2WD. No I dint have a 12 volt test kit. Im going to auto zone now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6L EFI V8, 4 speed auto transmission
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here is the wiring diagram,Can you work all of the other windows from that drivers front switch just fine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. All other windows work just fine. The only one not working is the drivers side
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would use the voltmeter or 12 volt test light and test if the motor is getting voltage on either of those wires, the white/black or orange/white while pressing the button for that window up and down with the key on run. If there is voltage on both wires up and down, the motor must be bad. If there is no voltage, it appears about the only thing that could be wrong is that switch.That wiring diagram is very difficult to understand exactly where the circuit for up and down grounds to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where ican I find the motor? This is a pic of tge switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ran out of daylight. Can we resume this tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW. The arrows on the buttons are lit up with the lights on.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I get on here about 11 am eastern. The motor is in the door. You will have to remove the door panel.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I am on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, pls call me.... the solid black wire isn't lighting up on the switch box however the green with t black stripe is
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What green/black wire and black wire are you referring to? I don't see a green/black wire going to the left front power window switch and black is a ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see the attached picture. Please give me a call###-##-####
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you want the phone call, you have to accept this offer.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What does that plug go to and if you are talking about the wire at the far right, that color looks like light blue/black to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no voltage on the yellow wire with the black stripe for down but up has voltage....the orange wire with the blue stripe has voltage down but not up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the switch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The yellow/black wire is for the right rear window. Why are you testing that one?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I don't see an orange/blue wire. To which switch is that going to?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Which switch they are more than one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it operates the front window
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Which front window, left or right and what are you referring to works this window, them wires or the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the switch and the wires I just blew a fuse so now the passenger front window doesn't work let me replace it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I don't understand what you are doing. let me back up here. What does that plug go? To what switch? What do these wires go to you mentioned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's the switch plug for the windows
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Which switch does it plug into? There are 4 switches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 that goes to the switch panel. the 1st one controls the automatic locks, the 2nd controls the windows and the 3rd control the window lock. I'm dealing with the 2nd one
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I can only go by what that wiring diagram tells me. I see the wire colors to that left front power window switch. Now, which wires are you testing and why would you be testing any except the white/black and orange/white wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something has happen..everything went dead and there's a constant clicking even when I take out the key.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Check the main fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I temporarily disconnect the positive side of the battery to see if it's the alarm and to reset it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok