Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How can I direct wire my alternator to my key switch? It has

Customer Question
stopped charging again....
How can I direct wire my alternator to my key switch? It has stopped charging again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Can I get the year, make, model, and engine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
96 ford ranger I-4 2.3l 5spd
At the alternator is the black/orange and yellow/white wire showing battery voltage?With the key on what voltage is at the light green/red wire?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery voltage on black n red and yellow n white
With the key on what voltage is at the light green/red wire if there is any voltage?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None at all or it tops out @ 7.5
If you power this wire with a remote wire can you confirm the alternator turns on and the battery voltage running is 13-15 volts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check on it first thing in the morning and let yall know.... Well I still be able to reply to this thread before lunch tomorrow?
Yes you can, its 5:46 here and Log on around 3 pm everyday.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awesome, thank you so much
Your welcome
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still no luck, my alternator has a white/black write going from harness to voltage regulator as well
The WH/BK wire just loops out of the alternator and back. If powering the LG/RD wire does not turn the alternator on then the alternator is bad based on the tests you ran. Below is a diagram if needed.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/charge.png
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician