Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have been getting a code P0012 on this 2007

Customer Question

I have been getting a code P0012 on this 2007 Expedtion 5.4lt. 2WD. I talked to some other ford mechanis that I know and they told me it could be the phazers or the vct solenoids. I pulled the timing covers off and found the chain with alot of slack on the tight side so I replaced the chain kit. I physically looked at the phazers and could not see no wear or broken parts. Felt like this was going to take care of it. Put everything back together and the engine did the same damn thing again. I am at my wits end.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it sounds like it has a rod knocking and it shutters real bad when i come to an idle. If i increase the rpms it goes away.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Replace the VCT solenoids with Ford part# ***** They have been redesigned for better oil flow.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say but I forgot to include that I had replaced both VCT solenoids (dealer items) before I removed the timing cover. It honestly baffles me to what is wrong.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Did you remove and disassemble the phasers?

Do you have a scan tool that has live data monitoring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not disassemble the phasers at all. Is that the mistake that I made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a scanner with live data monitoring also.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

I usually take them apart to inspect for binding, wear and broken spring locator pin. I would like to know what the VCT error correction pid data shows for both banks, intake and exhaust. The VCT loop pid must indicate closed for accurate data. once a vct code is set it will go into open loop. Also, was the P0012 there before the repair?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Thanks,

Kenny Z

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I was reviewing some of my older questions and noticed I was never compensated for this question because it was not rated. If it was your intention to not rate me and use my services free of charge then I will accept that as a free service I provided and move on.

Thanks,

Kenny Z