Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

I have a lincoln navigator and the wrench light turned on and

Customer Question

I have a lincoln navigator and the wrench light turned on and when I look it up it says that is might be the powertrain or AWD. I am trying to figure out what this means.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Well when the wrench lights turns on my vehicle won't go forward or reverse.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: That is it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, This light sets when the PCM(powertrain control module) detects a fault in either the powertrain, emissions or awd system. There are over 500 fault codes that can be set and trip the warning light, ranging from the simple like a vacuum leak to a serious internal engine or transmission problem. And not all will have outward symptoms. The ONLY way to know which fault code has tripped the light is to have the PCM scanned with a diagnostic scan tool to retrieve the fault code which will give the area of concern. Without doing this, you are left with wild guessing as to which of the over 500 fault codes is responsible. Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts store and they will scan it for FREE and tell you the fault code and area of concern. At that point, if you wish to try to repair yourself, you can post the fault code here for me and and I can walk you thru any testing and repair needed. If you dont plan on repairing yourself, you will need to have shop do the work Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks