Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

CRANK NO START JA: The mechanics have tons of experience

Customer Question

CRANK NO START
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: NO THERE IS NO COMMUNCATION WITH THE PCM AND THE THEFT LIGHT FLASHS AND THERE ARE NO NUMBERS IN THE ODMETER JUST LITTLE DASHS.
JA: What else is going on?
Customer: J
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: NO SPARK.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY LET IT SIT FOR 30 MINS OR SO WENT BACK OUT AND THE TRUCK STARTED UP. BUT AFTER I SHUT IT OFF THE TRUCK WENT BACK TO DOING THE SQAME THING CRANK NO STAT AND NO SPARK.
THE TEHFT LIGHT FLASHES AND LITTLE ASHS IN THE ODMETER.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,Which engine do you have in your truck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.2 V6
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you perform the following test: 1. Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. Allow the THEFT light to flash at the rapid rate for 60 seconds. After the end of the 60 seconds of rapid flashing, the light should start to flash a 2-digit code. 2. If code 16 is retrieved as a result of the test, it would suggest that there is a lack of communication between the PCM and the Hybrid Electronic Cluster (HEC). Code 16 is equivalent to code U1147 or U1262. If code 16 is the output of the 2-digit code, check for battery voltage on the Vehicle Power (VPWR) circuit at a fuel injector, the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, or the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid. The VPWR circuit is a Red (R) wire. 3. If there is no voltage on the VPWR circuit with the key in the Run position, verify battery power is present on the Red/Light Green (R/LG) wire feeding any Coil on Plug (COP) unit. 4. Remove the PCM Power (#304) Relay in the Battery Junction Box (BJB). Check for two terminals to have battery voltage with the ignition switch in the Run position. One of the terminals is actually hot-at-all-times power from fuse 2 (30 amp) of the BJB. The other terminal powers up from the ignition switch through the PCM power diode. 5. If power is present on both terminals, swap the PCM power relay with the Fuel Pump Relay (#301). Then, recheck for the odometer display to show the mileage when the ignition switch is turned to the Run position. Replace the relay as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK JARED I WIIL PERFORM THET TEST MY NAME IS BOB.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet you Bob. Let me know how it goes. I have a fleet of 1200 Fords that I am tasked with keeping on the road every day in the form of police cars, work trucks, etc- We'll get you up and running in no time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JARED PERFORMED THE TEST THERE WAS NO VOLTAGE AT THE IDLER AIR CONTROL ( RED WIRE). TESTED FOR VOLTAGE AT THE RELAY KEY VOLTAGE AT BOTH WIRES KAY OFF ONLY ONE AS YOU SAID. SWAPED OUT THE RELAY AND THE ODMETER CAME BACK ON. GOING TO GO GET A RELAY NOW. WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think we're on the right track.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JARED THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP I WAS ALMOST REDAY TO REPLACE THE PCM. THE TRUCK IS RUNNING OK DROVE IT AROUND WILL LET IT SIT AND TRY IT AGAIN.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
That's great! Let me know if you need additional help.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help.If you no longer need help, please don't forget to rate.