A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

New battery had auto parts store check starter. Everything

Customer Question

New battery had auto parts store check starter. Everything is good. I can hear the relay and solenoid engage still won't crank. Turned the crankshaft engine is not seized. What next?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: Brand new today.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
What year and model For are you working on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 end cargo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 E250 CARGO
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
What have you replaced or checked to repair this problem so I do not duplicate what you have done?Does the engine crank over by the starter or not crank over by the starter at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New battery, took starter to auto parts store it checked out. Crankshaft turns with wrench so engine isn't seized. What next?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
We will need to check the starter relay installed next to the battery under the hood. You will need a test light or digital multimeter. Let me know please if you have either of these testers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the key I can hear the relay and solenoid engage. I also jumpered the relay. I do have a multi tester.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Does the starter engage when you jump the starter solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
If the solenoid clicks when turning the key, but does not engage the starter. And you can jump the solenoid and the starter turns, then the starter solenoid is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter clicks when I jump the starter relay. Solenoid and starter both check out.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the starter and solenoid check out, but the starter does not turn the engine with everything back together, either you have a battery cable issue or a ground issue to the lower starter bolt. There should be a negative battery cable attached to the lower starter bolt. Check you battery cables for corrosion and also check the voltage at the starter on the large cable should have equal to battery voltage.