Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

F350: I have a 94 f350 7.3 with 147 k on it. I had some hard

Customer Question
I have a 94 f350...
I have a 94 f350 7.3 with 147 k on it. I had some hard starts with it and as time went on it got real hard to start when it was warm. Finally it just would not start and I had to pull start it to get it started and it drove just fine for the hour and a half to get it home. I replaced aLL the glo plugs and it still won't start. its seems that for no reason at all the starter is lagging or it may be that the batteries just dont have all the amps required to turn the motor over at a faster rate.
My second problem is that I thought it may be the cps that is the problem so I purchased a new one. I got a big surprise when I went to replace it. I look all over for the the old one and found nothing. I know its supposed to be at about 11 oclock on the front cover but I can find nothing down there. I do see a plate. but there is now plug in showing nor is there the timing finger that sticks out anywhere. the timing plate has two little round cylenders attached to the top of the marker coming off the block. other than that there seems to be nothing down there. is it possible that the cps was removed and never replaced. when I bought the truck the only way to get it started was with either. so what are your thoughts on this.....thanks..joe
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist is this a turbo or non turbo motor??? Roy
Ford Mechanic: John Vieira, Ford Mechanic replied 1 year ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic
Well if the Cam Shaft Position Sensor was gone then it would leak oil all over the place. So it is probably there. The most common problem with those trucks back then was a lag starter problem or starter drag. You need to make sure the electrical system is up to par, batteries cables, the starters go bad so easily on those trucks. The glo plug system, when you turn the key to the on position does the glo plug light cycle at all. If it does not then you most likely have multiple burnt glo plugs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I replaced all the global plugs and the fuel filter/ seperator. The start seem to be lagging a bit and drains the batteries after a few minutes. I can pull start the truck with little or no problems at all. I had a leak in the pan and was wondering if it was possible for the starter to injest some of that excess oil when it became warm which might create a problem with the starter.

John Vieira
John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic