Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2004 taurus my auto trans shift lever had some play

Customer Question
in it more than usual...
i have a 2004 taurus my auto trans shift lever had some play in it more than usual all of a sudden. I checked underneath the dash everything was connected but needed to be tightened up. but my car would start but not shift. then the lever just dropped like it was broken at the bottom under the rubber attached to the column but does not pull out. im hoping its not the tube broken. the red marker needle moves from park to the other side when i move it . also the key is stuck inside the ignition. could it be just a bro***** *****dle or pin?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago
Reggie Whiddon

It sounds like your shift cable has broken. A common occurence

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I said i checked all the connections the shift cable is fine its at the base of the lever i didnt take it apart yet behind the steering wheel i was hoping a broken lever was a common occourence not a cracked tube.
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Please forgive me i misunderstood what you were saying, actually i have had that happen a couple of times, in both cases it was the tube up around the area where the lever attaches. I went with a junk yard column there pretty cheap, just swap your key ring and key

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was gonna pop out the ignition thats the only way to change the tube . I have a chip key my last one. Are you saying i have to get a new chip key if the ignition is fine . Its not attached to the tube it sounds like a crack to me i wanted to know if its possible to be the levet thats all. Im not paying 18 bucks more for that.
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

Thats what im saying transfer that to your replacement column

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

What i found best and cheapest in both cases was to purchase a used column and transfer the key and ignition to the replacement column. I picked up a column for like 60 bucks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont know why i asked i knew that was what i had to do so you have me the right answer what size tork sockets do i need and how do i pop the igniition
Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

moval and Installation

1. Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
  1. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
    1. Insert the ignition key and turn to the RUN position.
    1. While pressing in the ignition switch lock cylinder release pin, pull the lock cylinder out of the steering column.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Verify the ignition switch lock cylinder operation.

Copyright © 2014 Ford Motor Company

This publication contains material that is reproduced and distributed under a license from Ford Motor Company. No further reproduction or distribution of the Ford Motor Company material is allowed without the express written permission of Ford Motor Company.

Copyright 2007 - 2014 Service Repair Solutions, Inc.

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

moval and Installation

Copyright © 2014 Ford Motor Company

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY: STEERING COLUMN - COLUMN SHIFT

211-04 Steering Column2004 Taurus/Sable

DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY

Procedure revision date: 08/09/2004

Steering Column - Column Shift

Special Tool(s)

Steering Column Locking Lever Tool (Shop Fabricated)

Material

ItemSpecification

Multi-Purpose Grease
XG-4ESB-M1C93-B

Penetrating and Lock Lubricant
XL-1-

Premium Long Life Grease
XG-1-CESA-M1C75-B

Disassembly

1. WARNING: To reduce the risk of serious personal injury, read and follow all warnings, notes and instructions in the steering column removal and installation procedure.

Remove the steering column. For additional information, refer to Steering Columnin this section.
  1. Remove the clockspring. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
  1. Remove the multifunction switch.
  1. Unclip the steering column opening gearshift lever seal from the steering column.

1. Remove the gearshift lever retaining pin and remove the gearshift lever assembly.

1. NOTICE: Carefully note the position of the steering column lock gear, bearing and retainer prior to removal.

Remove the snap ring.

1. Remove the steering column lock housing bearing.

1. Remove the steering column lock gear.

1. On a fixed steering column, remove the snap ring from the bottom of the steering column shaft.

1. On a tilt steering column, remove the sensor ring.
    1. Remove the steering column lower bearing spring.
    1. Remove the sensor ring.

1. Remove the steering column bearing tolerance ring from the steering column shaft.

1. Remove the two lock cylinder housing pivot screws.

1. WARNING: The steering column position spring is under tension and can come out with great force. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

Remove the steering column lock cylinder housing and the steering column shaft from the steering actuator housing.
    1. Pry up on the steering column locking levers using a shop fabricated tool.
    1. On tilt steering columns, remove the steering column position spring.

1. Using a flat-blade screwdriver pry up on the flush surface of the turn indicator cancel cam and remove.

1. Remove the snap ring.

1. Remove the steering column upper bearing spring.

1. Remove the steering column bearing sleeve.

1. Remove the steering column bearing tolerance ring.
    1. Slide the steering column shaft in toward the steering column lock cylinder housing.
    1. Slide the steering column bearing tolerance ring from the steering column shaft and remove the shaft.

1. Using a suitable punch, remove the steering column upper bearing from the steering column lock cylinder housing.

1. On a tilt steering column, use a suitable punch to remove the steering column lower bearing from the steering column lock cylinder housing.

1. Remove the two screws and remove the plastic harness retainer.

1. Remove the brake shift interlock solenoid and the transmission shift position insert.
    1. Remove the three bolts.

1. Remove the shift tube.
    1. Remove the four bolts.
    1. Remove the two shift tube clamps.
    1. Remove the shift tube.

1. Remove the transmission shift arm assembly.
    1. Remove the two bolts.

1. Remove the spring.

1. Drive out the gearshift lever pin from the shift tube.

1. Remove the gearshift lever.

1. Remove the column shift selector lever plunger.
    • If it is bent, replace the column shift selector lever plunger.

1. Remove the two gearshift lever socket bushings and the transmission control selector lever spring clip.

1. Remove the steering column lock pawl.
    1. Drive out the steering column lock lever pin.

1. Remove the ignition switch.
    1. Remove the screws.
    1. Remove the ignition switch.

1. Remove the steering column lower bearing and sleeve.

1. Remove the steering column lower bearing retainer.
    1. Remove the bolts.

1. Remove the steering column upper and lower lock actuator.

Assembly

1. Install the steering column upper and lower lock actuators.
    1. Use multi-purpose grease to lubricate the steering column lock actuators.

1. NOTE:Coat all surfaces with multi-purpose grease.

Install the steering column lock pawl.
    1. Position the steering column lock pawl.
    1. Drive in the steering column lock lever pin.

1. Install the steering column lower bearing retainer.
    1. Position the steering column lower bearing retainer.
    1. Install the bolts.

1. NOTE:The "UP" position of the bearing must be facing forward, toward the engine.

NOTE:Install the steering column lower bearing and sleeve so that the inner race is visible when installed.

Install the steering column lower bearing and sleeve.

ItemPart NumberDescription

1-Outer race

23517Bearing (in the "UP" position)

3-Ball

4-Inner race

1. Install the ignition switch. Align the ignition switch with the slot and index mark on the steering column.
    • Install the screws.

1. Install the transmission control selector lever spring clip and the gearshift lever socket bushings on the shift tube.
    • Coat the gearshift lever socket bushings with premium long life grease.

1. Install the column shift selector lever plunger.
    • Coat the column shift selector plunger with premium long life grease.

1. Position the gearshift lever in the shift tube.

1. NOTICE: Gearshift lever pin must be installed correctly or 1st gear position may be blocked.

Install the gearshift lever pin in the shift tube.

1. Install the gearshift selector tube spring in the shift tube.
    • Coat the end of the spring with premium long life grease.

1. Install the transmission selector lever arm and support on the shift tube.
    1. Position the transmission selector lever arm and support.
    1. Install the bolts.

1. Install the shift tube.
    1. Position the shift tube.
    1. Position the shift tube clamps.
    1. Install the bolts.

1. Position the brake shift interlock solenoid and install the bolts.

1. NOTICE: Install the upper steering column bearing so that the inner race is visible when installed.

Using an appropriate bearing installer or socket, install the steering column upper bearing on the steering column lock cylinder housing.

ItemPart NumberDescription

1-Outer race

2-Bearing (in the "UP" position)

3-Ball

4-Inner race

1. NOTICE: Install the large steering column bearing so that the inner race is visible when installed.

NOTE:Use an appropriate bearing installer or socket.

Install the steering column lower bearing into the steering column lock cylinder housing.

ItemPart NumberDescription

1-Bearing slot

23511Steering column lock cylinder housing

3-Outer race

4-Bearing (in the "UP" position)

5-Ball

6-Inner race

1. Position the steering column shaft in the steering column lock cylinder housing.
    • Install the steering column bearing tolerance ring on the steering column shaft.

1. Install the steering column bearing sleeve.

1. Install the steering column upper bearing spring.

1. Install the snap ring.

1. Install the turn indicator cancel cam.

1. Install the lock cylinder housing screws loosely and position the steering actuator housing in a vise.
    • Lubricate the lock cylinder housing screws with penetrating and lock lubricant.

1. NOTE:Lubricate the lock cylinder housing bushings with penetrating and lock lubricant.

Position the steering column lock cylinder housing and the steering column shaft in the steering actuator housing.
    • Make sure the upper and lower steering column lock actuators are aligned.

1. On tilt steering columns, position the steering column locking levers on the steering actuator housing.
    1. Use a shop fabricated tool.
    1. Install and compress the steering column position spring.

1. Position the lock cylinder housing and steering actuator housing, and install the screws.

1. Install the steering column bearing tolerance ring.

1. Install the sensor ring.
    1. Install the sensor ring.
    1. Install the steering column lower bearing spring.

1. NOTE:The narrow section of the keyhole in the lock gear must be in the 1 o'clock position.

Install the steering column lock gear.
    • Use multi-purpose grease to coat the steering column lock gear.

1. Install the steering column lock housing bearing.
    • The narrow section of the keyhole should be in the 1 o'clock position, with the tab inboard at the 3 o'clock position and rotate it counterclockwise.
    • Lubricate the steering column lock housing bearing with multi-purpose grease.

1. Install the bearing retainer firmly to engage the four retention tabs into the lock housing.

1. Install the gearshift lever assembly and install the retaining pin.

1. Attach the steering column gearshift lever seal onto the steering column.

1. Install the multifunction switch.
  1. Install the clockspring. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
  1. NOTE:When installing the steering column, read and follow the steering column installation instructions and warnings as outlined in this section.

Install the steering column. For additional information, refer to Steering Columnin this section.

Copyright © 2014 Ford Motor Company

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago

please let me know if those come through and if they are all you need.

Ford Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago
Hello r u still working this
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon