Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

We have a 2012 Ford F-250 SD XLT Crew Cab, we have no

Customer Question
Hi, We have a 2012 Ford...
We have a 2012 Ford F-250 SD XLT Crew Cab, we have no turning signal and brake light on the rear drivers side. Have checked all the obvious things and haven't located the problem. Been doing a little reading and and lots of talk about the body control module. Any suggestions or things to try would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/29/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You are correct on thinking the BCM is the problem. The best way to make sure is to tap into the circuit for the drivers side rear turn signal/brake light circuit is to go to the connector at the BCM and tap into the wire coming from the BCM for that circuit and see if power is coming from the BCM on that wire. Below is the circuit and also the connector to look at. It is pin #12 in the connector. Also, if the BCM is the problem, it will need to be replaced and the new one programed to the vehicle properly so it functions properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We tested all the points mentioned and we didn't get any power from any of these points.
Any other suggestions to check why no power?

Then the BCM is the problem and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, ballpark what's the cost of BCM?

Not sure on a good ball park price. I would say roughly about $400. Bu that is just a guess. I do not have access to the parts catalog at home.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, we have another identical 2012 F250 with a blown motor and are going to use for parts. If we or can we take the BCM out of it and if so does it have to go to a dealer for programming after installed?

Yes, the dealership will have to program it to the vehicle for it to function properly.

See below.

A. Penland
A. Penland