Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2008 Ford F-250 6.4l 4wd. Has a number 6

Customer Question
contribution. P0278. White smoke pouring...
I have a 2008 Ford F-250 6.4l 4wd. Has a number 6 contribution. P0278. White smoke pouring our of exhaust. Also have a p200E Cat system overtemp bank 1. Replaced entire exhaust under truck with known good one. Same problem. Also replaced sensor 1 in exhaust.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I add more money
3/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have a code for cylinder six's contribution along with white smoke that points to an injector failure, the excessive fuel is most likely why the cat over temp code had set. Injector control circuit issues or low compression could cause a cylinder contribution issue but would almost always be a failed injector. The fact that you have white smoke along with it, and I'm assuming it doesn't smell sweet and isn't using coolant, points to a number six injector failure.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician