Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Can't get it to start is there a primer lever to bleed off

Customer Question
the air JA: Tell me a...
Can't get it to start is there a primer lever to bleed off the air
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Ran out of fuel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes or burn the truck
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Most everything
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No its been running fine
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this question? What year, model, and engine size do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2006 ford power stroke. 250 crew cab 6.0
79000 miles
What's pulling heavy load got stuck in the mud truck was pointed uphill fuel ran away from the fuel pump truck ran out of diesel haven't started since.

You can try removing the secondary fuel filter cap and turning the key on, the fuel pump will run for 30 seconds or so, see if the fliter housing fills with fuel or spurts air, if it just spurts air, either the pick up in tank is uncovered or you don't have enough fuel, or you could possibly have a bad fuel pump. I would believe a low fuel in the tank or a pick up problem in the tank since it was running ok prior.

Normally just turning the key on will bleed all the air out of the fuel system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The file is pumping fuel up to the bowl.
And by turning key on the off does create air bubbles.
I tooknow the upper fuel filter out . To observe.
I just went and purchased 2 new batteries to assure I was given the motor the 48 volts required to start.
But just got the new batteries, and haven't tried yet

Ok, when its bled out, there should be no more bubbles, if there is you have too low of fuel or a pick up problem in the tank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The truck has a half of a tank.
Will fill totally.
The PICK Up You Are Referring To ***** A SOCK

Yes, half a tank should be ok, is the vehicle sitting level now?

Ok let me know if it starts now with new batteries.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I drain the water plug, I also replaced the bolt it had rust and was bad

What bolt are you reffering?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK may be a little while I am still at work

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To drain water out

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under the truck is a drain bolt

If you just replaced it, you shouldnt have any water in the fuel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree but just checking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also I have put sea foam in fuel , that should help yes

Yes that should be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have two of these trucks, bought them new at the dealership.
The other has a hot start problem.
I just don't shut it off.

Most likely a HP oil leak insie the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Imagine big bucks to repair that I heard it was just an oring

On 2006's it sems like the most probable thing in the block off plugs in the HP oil rails under the valve cover, thats what we see most.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not a super mechanical repair man.
I do have a shop, and am not to afraid to try. But if difficulty is great I'll pass

It's one of the easier repairs on this truck, just remove both valve covers and remove the front block off plugs in the rail and see if the orings are worn away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I found out that my fuel pump isn't pumping enough fuel up so I'm going to take care of that I think that'll take care of the problem

Awesome you found the problem, good luck with the repairs, if you need anything else just ask, thanks Scott

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician