Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I need to replace my oil cooler and egr cooler on my 2006

Customer Question

I need to replace my oil cooler and egr cooler on my 2006 Ford diesel 6.0L. I need a list of tools required and step by step instructions. I understand there are other problems that my surface with this engine, i.e. IPR valve so I would appreciate your comments on this as well. At the moment, my head gaskets are fine, but the egr cooler has just started leaking and I stopped driving it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

as for the tools.you will need a good mechanics tool set

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy9ztszvvobrxpg/0325-ford350-EXHAUST%20GAS%20RECIRCULATION.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/cy9ztszvvobrxpg/0325-ford350-EXHAUST%20GAS%20RECIRCULATION.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need more info than just a good mechanics set of tools, I need sizes of sockets, are they required to be swivel, ratchet box wrench sizes needed, is everything going to be 3/8 drive, 1/4 drive or 1/2 inch drive, I need to assemble everything on a cart before starting and I do not own a lot of tools, I only want to buy what is needed for this. The answer seems like it came over in reverse, the first page starts with the removal of the egr cooler but how do you get there? Also, shouldn't it be telling me to pre flush my system, then drain the radiator, etc? I selected the "detailed level of answer" and that is what I need.

stand by

have you done major mechanical repairs before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not a mechanic, but not afraid of this. The tools I have are SAE and this engine is metric. Since there are many trick of the trade to speed this up, I don't want to have test fit one socket after another taking the engine apart, I want to know what size heads are on what bolts and the best tool to use to remove the nuts and bolts, you with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you have done this type of repair before, it should come right from memory.

everything on this truck is metric..your sae tools arent of much help

i would sugjest you buy a complete socket set and wrench set in metric..

this will take many different tools...

you will need 8mm though 21mm sockets,wrenches extentions and screw drivers.

basic hand tools

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question has always been that I need a list of tools needed. I am sure if I buy a complete set of metic tools, there will be some that aren't used on this project, then I am sure there will be one or two special tools that are needed that will not be in the set of metric tools. I want to run to the store to buy all the tools needed one time, not make multiple trips to get a one or two special socket or adapter. Please read my question again. I need a narrative that includes something like this: "take the turbo clamps loose using a 10 MM deep well socket and 1/4 drive, take the alternator loose using a 13 MM socket an 3/8 drive, etc."

ok.

i think i will opt out,,

perhaps one of the other guys will be of better help to you..

someone wil be with you shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about the instructions? They came over out of order and the pictures don't fit the page, the pictures come over half on one page and half on the other.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

1. The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to replace my oil cooler and egr cooler on my 2006 Ford diesel 6.0L. I need a list of tools required, (sizes of sockets for the nuts and bolts, any special tools, i.e. box ratchets, swivels, etc.) and step by step instructions. I understand there are other problems that my surface with this engine, i.e. IPR valve so I would appreciate your comments on this as well. At the moment, my head gaskets are fine, but the egr cooler has just started leaking and I stopped driving it. The set of instructions I would hope to receive would take the form: "take the turbo clamps loose using a 10 MM deep well socket and 1/4 drive, take the alternator loose using a 13 MM socket an 3/8 drive, etc."

There are no directions from Ford that state the tools to use for each nut, bolt, screw. That is expected a tech to know just by looking at them. I do have all the directions and can tell you everything is metric. Would the directions help? I would need to do this job and write down each tool I used to do it. I have done it so many times grabbing the tools now is just by memory and visually seeing the part to remove.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead and send me directions.