Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The brake pedal on my 2002 Ford Ranger XLT goes way down to

Customer Question

The brake pedal on my 2002 Ford Ranger XLT goes way down to the floor before it takes hold. I took it to two places and they said the brakes were "fine." They said it could be the master cylinder, and I asked them to replace that, and they also bled the system.
When I drove it home, the brake pedal went almost completely down to the floor before it took hold, exactly as it had before. I have driven this truck for over six years, and I know the brakes used to take hold a little over a half-way down. I don't feel safe to drive this truck.
Is there some other problem it could be having with the brakes?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This sounds like brake shoes that are out of adjustment. When they aren't adjusted properly, the pedal will sink much further than it should before pressure is applied to the drum. This happens when the auto adjuster fails.