Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2010 escape starts then immediately dies

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/24/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is Scott

Usually when this happens there is something in the MAF sensor like dirt, debris, bug, ect.

Check the air filter, sometimes the air fliter will pass unfiltered air and cause this also.

Was the air flter removed or piping for the intake removed at some point during the repair?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we just removed it and it looks fine. Blew some air through the wires and reinstalled.
didn't fix problem

Ok do you have a scan tool to check the computer for trouble codes? Can you hear any vacuum leaks when it is initially started?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
scan tool? is that a code reader? we have one but since we changed the battery, there are no codes showing up.

Does it stay running with throttle depressed slightly? The codes may stored after a few more attempts if there is a circuit or sensor problem somewhere.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it won't stay running. if you pump the accelerator several times before cranking, it runs about a second longer

Do you have fuel pressure tester?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no sorry

At this point the only answers I can give are truly guesses at this point unless you want to get fuel pressure tester to see if the fuel system is building pressure. I can give some possible causes, was there anything leading up to this? Was it running ok and then just wouldn't start, or did it stall going down the road, any more information at this point would be extremely helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
worked fine one day. went outside to crank it the next day and it wouldn't stay cranked. no warning whatsoever..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i assume this conversation is over and i won't be charged good bye
Power is out computer dead. Will answer as soon as I can.

Sorry about the delay, we had a lightning strike knocked out power. I replied on my phone but I couldn't read anything.

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it stays running, it may take 2-3 starts before the check engine light comes on, if it stays running aftr 2-3 tries, I suspect a bad MAF sensor, if you can get a fuel pressure tester, test the fuel just to be sure is has at least 30 psi. Also if you can get a scan tool to see if there are any new codes that stored in the computer before you try the unplugging the MAF sensor. Let me know, thanks Scott

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician