Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have an 02 ford taurus duratec. Recently i have been

Customer Question

I have an 02 ford taurus duratec. Recently i have been hearing a rattling noise from the passenger side engine compartment. I recently changed the power steering pump. It sounds like its coming from right where the alternator is. I thought it was thr alternator so i replaced it and it stil makes the noise. It sounds more like when your drinking from a straw and the cup is almost empty like a slurp sound. It almost sounds like liquid either through the ac lines or ps lines. It happens mostly when the compressor turns on but i have heard it between compressor cycles. Is that a power steering filter built in to the power steering pressure hose near the pump? Anyway its frustrating hopefully somebody has experinced this before and can point me in the right direction.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, from the description you gave i think the ac compressor may be the issue, not the compressor itself but maybe the clutch. try this to confirm its a belt accessory, remove the belt and start the car and see if the noise is there, if it is not then the issue is not with the accessories.

if the noise goes away then the issue IS with the accessories, and then i would use some silicone spray or wd 40 and lube up the clutch of the compressor and install the belt and see if the noise is still there, and again when the ac is kicked on that would confirm a bad clutch . also see if the noise gets work when you steer left and right and raise the rpms that would tell me if its power steering related. hope this helps. Lou P.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

also, you can reply to me as many times as needed i will help you figure this out the best i can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its comind from the opposite side of the compressor near the Alternator
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

i understand, i read the description but still that is the path i would take to rule out anything else. its possible you are simply low on freon. BUT freon charging is not something everyone has access to.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

noises in a car can travel. you have already replaced multiple parts. i am great with diagnosis. i would not lead you wrong. it may not make sense what i am asking but you have to understand i am not near the car so i need to get a feel for what is happening.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

i am signing off for the night so feel free to message anything you feel i should know , the more info the better. please. i will check back in the am.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to send you a video how can i do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Dont remember it doing this until i replaced the power steering pump the first time. I put another pump on it and it still does the same thing. If there is air in the ps system can it cause knocking noises? I though air would just cause whining. I dont see bubbles in the reservoir.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

ok so now you also have a knocking noise? you can attach a video with the paper clip link, im not 100% sure how your end looks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a knocking noise its hard to put into words. It wasnt making this particular noise until thr ps pump was changed. Could it be a clogged canister in the ps pressure hose or does the pump need to be bled a certain way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or is the pump bad the first pump was a lares this one is motorcraft
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Well, did you take the belt off and confirm the noise goes away? as for the procedure a power steering pump will make a whine noise, i havent heard a knocking out of one. as for bleeding if it isnt foaming then the air should be out of the system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its only heard when the car is cool and its not heard driving down the road
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

ok when revving the engine does the noise change or stay the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dont hear it when reving. it doesnt make the noise very often

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

ok is there a way you can make me a youtube video? do you have a account? or we can do a offer to get you my number and you can send video to my phone and we can chat and make this quicker for the both of us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i would like your numberi dont wanna fish out $20 dollars for it. i can youtube it or email it. it doesnt make the noise when u rev it. it is at the bottom of the blue zone on freon

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

ok , well i cant help any further, hopefully another expert can help . i will opt out i wish you luck, please do not rate my service or another expert will not be able to assist. take care, Lou.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

1. The expert which was helping has opted out.
  2. Would you like me to help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The man from dickson yes

If you turn the climate control off will the noise still occur?

Does steering left to right all the way make the noise change, occur less or more often?

In a 5 minute period at idle how much does the noise occur and not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

climate control doesnt change it dont hear it when moving steering wheel. just on cold idle maybe 5 times in 5 mins.

Thanks, ***** ***** does not occur with the climate control off, that rules out the AC system. Since it occurs when the engine is cold. Can you remove the belt then start the engine. Let it run no more than 3-4 minutes since the water pump is not turning. Can you do that and let me know if the noise is gone or still occurs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its hard to get it to do it ill have to make a video and send it to you can indo that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i cant get it to do it now its very intermittent it almost sounds like when you have the car off and you change the mode door positions only it does it longer.

You can upload a video to a you tube account then copy paste that URL in your next reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i found out what it is it is the canister/accumulator on the power steering pressure hose sits right above the alternator

That's great news, glad you got it resolved.

Do you have another concern i can help with so we can get this post rated and closed out?