Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1988 f350 7.3. Radiator running over hoses feel good. Do i

Customer Question
replace thermostst or flush radiator JA...
1988 f350 7.3. Radiator running over hoses feel good. Do i replace thermostst or flush radiator
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It seem like no water is cooling the motor I don't want to blow head gasket. I'm not a.mechanic please be patient with me
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: With the help of a mechanic that I don't dealerknow t dehat well. No money for a
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the upper radiator hose get hot when the engine overheats?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Ok, sounds like you need to replace the thermostat. It is stuck closed not allowing the water pump to circulate the coolant to the radiator.

I don't know if I have any instructions for this one I will look, it is getting a bit too old for Ford, they don't publish repair procedures when they get to be a certain age.. I will look though.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the thermostat located

It is located on the front side of engine on paasenger side, under the vacuum pump and alternator. Still looking for a picture.

Did not find a picture, but found procedure for you.

This is a 1992 procedure, but the same.

Does this answer your question?

When you are finished please take the time to rate my service as this is how we are paid, thank you, Scott

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician