A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My 09 ford escape will not star just the power works?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine crank over by the starter or not crank over by the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights and power are ok but all I hear is a click under the dash
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

We have been seeing issues with the ignition switch housing, not the switch itself. The housing connects the ignition key cylinder to the ignition switch. The inner section of the housing goes bad and causes no cranks at times. Try pushing the key in hard while turning and see if it starts. This only sometimes works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened a few months ago and the mechanic changed a relay. Lastnight before it wouldn't start the last time I shut it off the it sounded like the ignition was still turning and I had to turn my key back on for it to stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried pushing the key in harder. It doesn't work.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Was the starter still turning the engine over or was the engine still running when you turned the key off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just sounded like it was still turning over because I could here the car shut off when I shut the key off
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can test to see it the housing is the problem. You can remove the steering column trim and remove the ignition switch from the ignition housing and leave it plugged in. Then use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the ignition switch to start and see if the engine starts. You will need the key in the ignition for the PATS security system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the switch replaced and it didn't fix the problem last time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What relay would it have been he replaced?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The housing is where the switch in mounted and the other side of the housing is where the ignition key cylinder is mounted where you insert the key to start the vehicle. The housing connects the ignition switch and the key cylinder. The starter relay is in the engine bay fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how much was I charged for this ?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

That I have no control over. I am subcontracted to Just Answer. They are in California and I am in Florida.