Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 09 ford escape will not star just the power works?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Does the engine crank over by the starter or not crank over by the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lights and power are ok but all I hear is a click under the dash

We have been seeing issues with the ignition switch housing, not the switch itself. The housing connects the ignition key cylinder to the ignition switch. The inner section of the housing goes bad and causes no cranks at times. Try pushing the key in hard while turning and see if it starts. This only sometimes works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It happened a few months ago and the mechanic changed a relay. Lastnight before it wouldn't start the last time I shut it off the it sounded like the ignition was still turning and I had to turn my key back on for it to stop
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have already tried pushing the key in harder. It doesn't work.

Was the starter still turning the engine over or was the engine still running when you turned the key off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just sounded like it was still turning over because I could here the car shut off when I shut the key off

You can test to see it the housing is the problem. You can remove the steering column trim and remove the ignition switch from the ignition housing and leave it plugged in. Then use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the ignition switch to start and see if the engine starts. You will need the key in the ignition for the PATS security system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had the switch replaced and it didn't fix the problem last time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What relay would it have been he replaced?

The housing is where the switch in mounted and the other side of the housing is where the ignition key cylinder is mounted where you insert the key to start the vehicle. The housing connects the ignition switch and the key cylinder. The starter relay is in the engine bay fuse box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok how much was I charged for this ?

That I have no control over. I am subcontracted to Just Answer. They are in California and I am in Florida.

A. Penland
A. Penland