Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 04 f150 is sending code stating that cylinder head

Customer Question
temperature sensor is a high...
My 04 f150 is sending code stating that cylinder head temperature sensor is a high output the scan tool tells me that the temp of the coolant is -40 which it supposed to be +or - 10 degrees of ambient temperature it's about 60 here so I removed intake purchased new wire harness and sensor but the harness only had the connection to the sensor had to splice to existing connection put it all back together and same code came back took intake off again going to go tomorrow and get oem harness with both connections and new sensor can i test it when I put the new parts once installed without putting everything back together i.e. The intake and other parts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN and the code number stored in the computer? Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P1289 vin 1ftpw12564fa24396

Hello and sorry for the delay! Thank you for getting me that information. Here is some information for this code according to the VIN.

P1289 Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

Possible Causes

Engine coolant level is too low or the thermostat has failed
CHT sensor has failed
CHT sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
CHT sensor ground circuit is open
CHT sensor circuit is open or shorted to voltage (may be an intermittent fault)

Code P1289 indicates that the CHT sensor input is intermittently rising above 4.6 volts. This would be the equivalent of an open circuit or connection type problem. The instrument cluster receives engine temperature information from the PCM on this vehicle to control the gauge display function.

Here is how to check the circuit. Disconnect the connector and turn the key on. Check for voltage on the Yellow/Light Green wire that goes to pin 41 of the PCM. This should have approximately 4.7-5.0 volts on it Key On Engine Off. If there is no voltage, check/repair the open circuit between C1033 and pin 41 of the PCM. If there is good voltage, check for a good ground on the Gray/Red wire as this grounds out at pin 58 of the PCM. If there is no ground supplied to the sensor, the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor voltage will be too high and cause the code P1289.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will try the multimeter on it also when I install the new components sensor and wire harness can I use my code reader with out reassembling the entire engine and if so it should have read +or - 10 degrees of ambient temperature correct!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't do that due to my father having the wire can I check it from the connection

Hello and sorry for the delay! I was off line eating with the family. YES, you can check it once all of the electrical is hooked up before installing the intake manifold and everything else.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN