Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

03 f250 intermittent stalling

Customer Question
03 f250 intermittent stalling
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. How does the engine run other than the stalling condition? Does it have plenty of power under a load? Does it idle Ok or does the idle fluctuate when coming to a stop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to run fine. Although having said that mt gas gage was crazy the other day? 1 day alst week it ran a little week and would not get above 3500 RPMs on highway,uphill with a trailer on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to Idle fine I let it run the other day when it stalled 10 times for 30 mins and never stalled
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has stalled with full tank and partial tank as well

Does it always start right back up after it stalls out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Longest time in between stalling and starting has been 5 mins

So it just cranks over but does not start correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct

Have you checked the fuel pressure or the fuel pressure regulator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I Have not I am very mechanically inclined but have never done either test before

Ok, the reason I ask because this is one of the most common causes of a stalling condition and it is very easy to check. The fuel pressure regulator is located under the hood on the fuel rail. There is a vacuum line going to it. Remove the vacuum line or hose from the regulator and see if there is any fuel in the hose/line. If so, the diaphram inside the regulator has ruptured and the regulator will need to be replaced.

If you were to get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel system, then you would see the fuel pressure drop after turning off the engine. It should hold nice and steady after the engine is turned off. If not, something is leaking fuel

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am heading to the shop shortly to which I can check then.However this problem 1st started a month ago stopped for a while and just started again. A meachanic looked at it drove it and it never didi it to him . I drove it home apprx 10-12 miles and it stalled around the corner from my house.

Some other possible causes would be an air/vacuum leak, bad mass air flow sensor or even a bad/lazy idle air control motor.

Now if this is not leaking, I would suspect some of those other things I mentioned.. but be sure to check the regulator for leaks first.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
check fuel first? when i get the info will i be able to get back to you in a couple hours?
Also are you familiar with the fords and this issue?

YES, check fuel first. YES, you can get back to me even after you rate my answer. Just post back on this page and I will get it. YES, I am familiar with this issue.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN