Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1990 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter. Starts easy. Good acceleration,

Customer Question

1990 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter. Starts easy. Good acceleration, runs good for about 5 minutes then sputters, like running out of fuel, then looses power. If I hit the gas too hard it quits. Shut it off, leave it for 1 minute, start back up and go again for another 5 minutes. Changed the fuel filter, it was getting plugged. Any idea? it has been sitting a lot the past year.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed the air and fuel filters.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: had a new fuel pump put in about 60,000 miles ago. Also had the timing belt replaced around the same time.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

if the fuel filter was plugged, there may be debris in the fuel tank.if that debris gets into the pump it will fail the pump, whether it is new or not. you can rent a tester at a parts store for the fuel upmp pressure to confirm but it sounds like the pump is your issue. if you replace it, the tank will have to be drained and completely cleaned of all dirt and debris.

Roy