Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2013 f150 4x4 ecoboost. just replaced my rotors and pads and

Customer Question
i now have a severe...
2013 f150 4x4 ecoboost. just replaced my rotors and pads and i now have a severe pulsating issue. T
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The pulsing/shuddering started immediately aft er repairs were done. I performed the pad and rotor replacement my self
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet. was planning on taking the rotor off again to look for any obvious issues causeing run out
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: repairs to front brakes.
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could this be caliper related? I thought caliper may be cause of original issue that prompted me to replace pads and rotors. pistons on right wheel seemed to function properly when pressed and when brake pedal was applied.
3/12/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is Scott

Were the pads Ford parts?

Check to make sure the pads were installed correctly, we have had several that cam in installed backwards and they chew up the rotors, here is proper installation.

At just answer, the experts are not employees, we don't get paid until rated, so when you are finished please take the time to rate my help.

Ford Mechanic: Ford_Service, Ford/Lincoln Svc & CR manager replied 1 year ago
Ford_Service
Ford_Service, Ford/Lincoln Svc & CR manager

Hello. Different expert here. Please allow me to add input on this issue. Please advise as to why you replaced the pads and rotors. If we start at the beginning, we should be able to pin down the cause of your pulsation. Thanks

Ford Service........I don't need your help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replace the rotors and pads due to the brakes starting to grind on Monday. By Wednesday the grinding was very severe. When I got home on Wednesday after a two-hour Drive I inspected the wheels and found that the wheel was burnt orange from the heat burning the dirt from driving on country roads. Picture attached
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
brake pads were installed correctly with dog-eared pads installed on the rear of rotor

Ok, good information. The inboard pads are right and left also, were they checked to make sure they are on the correct side? Were they Ford pads, were the calipers and slide pins checked to see if they are free to move?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, Napa ceramic pads, and yes pins inspected and greased
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All parts are napa as I have always had good result and price with them

Does both sides have the heating up problem or just the one side?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It appears that it was just the front right that was getting excessively hot. That is the side that had the rear pad completely worn down to steel

Ok, I suspect you have a piston sticking in the caliper or restricted brake hose, either one will not allow full release of the brake and cause a overheat. This is the most common we see.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pulsing/shudder started immediately after repairs were made and was not present at all before I replace the rotors and pads.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just picked up the new right side caliper that I'm going to replace right now. I am not sure how this would cause the pulsating but I'm going to replace just the same

Ok, you may have some dirt or rust behind the rotor, or a mismachined rotor, if you have a dial indicator you can check runout of the rotor, it should be less than 003. of an inch. You might ask for another rotor also, I'm sure NAPA would give another if you feel it is mismachined.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also for additional information, about a month ago I had my windshield replaced due to a turkey running into me. The repair shop had a flatbed truck come pick up my vehicle to tow to their shop. When I went to pick up my vehicle I had the check engine light check brake system service advancetrac flashing on my info screen. When I had a scan ran it showed an issue with a rear wheel speed sensor. Also just for fun I have attached a picture of the damage from the turkey

Oh my, that must have been a big one, lol.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was..... I had to change my shorts after that . It did not help that I was going 55 at impact

Lol I bet

Was the rear speed sensor replaced, or was it set by running the driveline on a hoist?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not had it replaced. They denied it being any part of their faults. The repairs were done by a Gerber collision shop that was attached to the Ford service shop. Ford inspected it to see if there was any visible signs of damage to the wire and then quoted me $450 to replace the sensor so I told them to kick rocks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
long story short I have not replaced the speed sensor and the check brake system service advancetrac warnings are still presents

Ok I see. We have replaced quite a few sensors on the rear.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the speed sensor have anything to do with the premature caliper failure?

No it shouldn't, when the light is on you dont have any abs, but the regular brake system should operate in a normal manner.

Have you fixed the concern yet?

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician