Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My wrench light is on. On Friday I was stopped at a red

Customer Question

My wrench light is on. On Friday I was stopped at a red light and when it turned green I went to go and my car would only go 20 MPH. The wrench light is still on however I have had no acceleration issues and its now Tuesday.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Ford Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing I googled a few things and I keep getting different answers that is why I came here
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Its a 2006
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $23 after the Ford Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: with over 100k miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The wrench light come on when the computer sees a system fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what caused the problem you had the first thing you are going to need to do is to have the computer system scanned to see what the fault code and or codes where that should have set when the light came on. Most Auto parts stores will run this scan for you at no charge . If you can get this done and post back with the actual fault code, I can advise you from there are to the proper repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The codes are P0871 and P 0840
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

What model and engine size is your 2006?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a v6 freestyle limited awd
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

These code are both transmission codes, are you having any problem with the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I am aware of. When I went to the auto parts store they said it was a transmission fluid pressure sensor so isn't that a sensor that needs changed
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It is very possible it could be a bad pressure sensor as long as the transmission is not loosing pressure. I think if you are not having any shifting concern then you should consider having the transmission serviced and I suspect this may solve the the problem. If the sensor was bad and or you where actually loosing pressure then the problem would not have likely cleared.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Post back if you have more question and or need more help and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I know if I was loosing pressure? Also what would it feel like if it wasn't shifting correctly
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You would have felt shifting concerns right away and likely would still be feeling them. The shif would be delayed or even slipping. It would be easy to notice.