Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ny issue is the voltage regulator is failing,new battery,new…

Customer Question
Barnes ny...

Barnes ny issue is the voltage regulator is failing,new battery,new alternator, new alternator wire, new battery terminal

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The car quit running, i jumped it off it ranfor a mile aand ahalf,and quit again. i charged the battery longer to get it home. the altenator is bad correct?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what your working on please, year, make and model?

2004 expedition 5.4 liter

So your saying the new alternator is not charging the battery?

that is correct

The alternator is controlled by the duty cycle from the PCM (computer) . Are you able to do some testing on the new alternator as well as the circuit from it to the PCM ?

no I am not

Okay will to avoid replacing any unneeded parts some testing needs to be done, do you have someone that can help you do the testing?

I will take it to the shop thanks for your help

Have them run the enclosed test, copy and paste the link toy our browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ALternator%20Mar%208.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.