Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 97 crown vic I change the fuel pump and filter.. Idle

Customer Question
I have a 97...

I have a 97 crown vic I change the fuel pump n filter.. Idle control valve..and the fuel pressure regulater.. And still the only Wat it start of I'm spraying starter fiuld then 73rd shuts off after I stop San kan b the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Changed fuel pump and filter..changed fuel pressure regulater.. And idle control vavle

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

Web

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. So when you quit spraying the starter fluid, the engine shuts off is that correct?

correct
What u need to do

Alright, Do you have a noid light by chance? I would like to check fuel injector pulse, the noid light will plug directly into the fuel injector harness in place of the injector, and when cranking should blink indicating fuel injector pulse.

I want to check fuel pressure too, I know you changed the pump, but are you sure pump is running and it's getting power. should have 40 psi fuel pressure with key on in the fuel rail.

we checked Rhodes n yes the fuel pump is running

Alright, if the pump is running, you've probably got pressure then, Can you check and see if you have injector pulse when cranking? you'll need a noid light to do that.

Okay it seen like the gas not getting they the lines

Right, I don't think you have fuel injector pulse. You probably have pressure, but no injector pulse will not let fuel through the injectors.

You can borrow a noid light kit from local auto parts store. If you wanna check for injector pulse, that is likely what the problem is if your spraying it and it's running,

Is getting gas to the carburetor but not to the throttle body
No I did not have a noid light

Is this a 97 Crown Vic? if so it does not have a carburetor.

Oh I don't know what it's called but I'm not getting gas up there like when you on hit the acceleration and where is open at
Is not getting gas to the motor the fuel injectors good

I understand. There are total of 8 fuel injectors on your vehicle, 4 on each side of the engine, the wiring harness will have a RED wire and another color wire, pull that harness off the injector, install the noid light in place of the injector and spin the engine, see if the light blinks.

Injectors are here in this diagram.

It may need a new PCM to fix injector pulse .

Especially if it's original,

The injector pulse is working what next to try

If you have fuel pressure and injector pulse then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. Let me opt out in case another expert has something else they want to suggest. Thank you!

Ok
I have a 1997 Crown Victoria with a 4.6 liter motor and this is not getting gas in a cracked but it was not getting gas when the start
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

How did you confirm an injector pulse?

Simply opening or snapping open the throttle plate doesn't shoot gasoline into the intake manifold like on a carburetor. The throttle body only allows in air, it's the fuel injectors that spray in fuel and they need 12 volts to them and the computer has to ground the fuel injectors and then open the ground circuit, then open and close very very very very quickly in order to pulse the injectors and make them spray.

What is it called it was not the carburetor
It is not called a Carburetor thought about it what is it called

Throttle body.

Or throttle body

How did you confirm an injector pulse?

Use the pressure meter
I change the fuel pressure regulator

Ok, checking the fuel pressure is ok, but that doesn't confirm an injector pulse. Like the previous expert said, you have to use a"noid light", place it in one of the injector harness plugs, then watch the noid light while cranking the engine over, it should flash.

You might want to check the fuses first, for the ecm/pcm and/or the fuel injectors. Make sure you test both sides of the fuse with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light while the key is on run and start, unless of course a quick look finds that the fuse is blown.

Will it still crank up and then if that's the problem
Will it still crank if that's the problem

Do you mean will it run on starting fluid? Crank has to do with the starter cranking over the engine.

Do a quick check and check these 2 fuses, the ECC fuse in the engine compartment fuse block and the fuse #7 in the I/P fuse box.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the engine,

get it started yet?