Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Im hoping you can give me some direction here. I have a 2000…

Customer Question
good morning! Im hoping you...
good morning! Im hoping you can give me some direction here. I have a 2000 ford f150, 4.2l v6 5 speed. I purchased it 7 months ago. The Motor was neglected when I bought it, but came to life with a good cleaning. Fixed the usual things; replaced vacuum hoses, the PVC (and it's hose to the rear of intake that always has a hole & gives the dreaded P171/174 code!) I tuned it up, new fluids & stock filters, cleaned MAS, new TPS, changed plugs & wires... ran like a top for 4,000 miles w/ no codes. 2 months ago it began what seems like a missfire when under load, most noticeable when you step on the gas to pass, its a horrible sputtering, no pick-up mess... right when you don't want it to be. The SES light flashes. but... it never seems like it will stall out, take offs are sputter but consistent and idle seems pretty normal? I've got two codes, cyl 2 miss fire and lean bank 1. I read more posts and realized a potential error so I changed out the Bosch plugs I had installed to Motocraft plugs and new wires, but nothing.
I am scared to drive it very far because it feels like 1/6 of my engine is gone! and I fear doing further damage. I have 3 part stores within 3 miles of me and can venture that far safely, but I hate just changing parts blindly.
I am a knuckle buster for 25+ years but I don't own compression testers or obd computers... Any suggestions how to further diagnose??
The local parts shop has ign coil, intake & plenum gasket, fuel injectors... all in stock, and ive got 3 days off. I need my truck.
Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. On the 4.2 it was fairly common for the egr ports to plug up in the intake manifold. You can try and test this by putting vacuum to the egr valve when the engine is running. It should stall out. Depending on how plugged the ports are the engine may not stall when applying the vacuum and opening the egr valve. This is the first place I would recommend starting.

Thank you for viewing my response on 3/8/2016 at 7:28:14 AM 6 day(s) ago. Did you check the egr ports? Have you checked anything else, or made progress? Please let me know so we can continue and also please rate my service to you. Thanks.