Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid - 65,000 miles - yesterday

Customer Question
noticed a "clunk' seemingly in...
I have a 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid - 65,000 miles - yesterday noticed a "clunk' seemingly in the steering column when turning the steering wheel right or left. More obvious when not in motion but definitely there when turning. No power steering fluid to check. Innocent or no?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: My husband is a great mechanic and would like to do that - but could not diagnose it himself yesterday when he briefly tried. Any advice would be appreciated.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No - I get it regularly maintained at the local Ford dealership - it is due for an oil change now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 1 year ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, how much play is there when engine off and wiggling column back n forth and you do? get clunking while driving or not?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No play. Yes - clunking when turning. Either direction.
.

humm, unsure, hard not being there, so to understand, you can turn the wheel with engine running but NOT driving and get a clunk in both directions? one clunk or rapid clunking? do you feel this when driving it? it is driving straight, no wander and all else seems ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when the engine is on, when we turn the wheel in either direction there is a single clunk at each direction change. The wheel is tight - no play in it. When driving, it is less noticeable due to road noise but if at a stop and making a turn, or even if turning a corner, the clunk is there. No wandering. No noise when just changing lanes etc. My husband could hear it from under the car in the driveway when I turned the wheel but couldn't locate it. Sounds to me like it's in the steering column???

ok no way for me to be 100%, I am not there looking, There are no known issues with this make/model so,, as being unsure of clunk location? one would start by getting up under drivers dash, locate the steering column ujoints shown in the first link. Put hand on the joints and work wheel feeling for a clunk, the joints can wear out and cause this, Nothing unsafe, just annoying, next? if nothing felt in the ujoints? one would jack up front of car ,leaving both wheels/tires on, grab a tire at left/right like 9 and 3 oclock, and wiggle back and forth, This is checking for a worn tie rod end, If you do this and feel any play? a tie rod end is bad, Lastly? open the hood, up near firewall on both sides re the top of the struts, Place hand on each and have someone work the steering and see if clunk in the top strut mount/bearings,,I wish I caoul zero in on exact but not possible, I am listing the possibles and how we approach in the shop.I dont think anything serious, nor are any mentioned real costly, well struts can be but tie ends and ujoint in column are not.the links show the column ujoints and the other link shows # ***** and #9 as the tie ends I speak of. I realize miles are low, but some things can wear out early, I lean to tie ends, but that is only my .02

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! We will definitely check these things out. My husband has always done our car maintenance but has been mostly hands off on this hybrid - he'd rather work on his '66 Mustang. If we can't figure it out, when I get it in for regular maintenance, I'll have them look but if he can avoid that, we'll be happy. Glad to hear it's not a known problem or recall thing and that it may just be something not too serious. Thanks again!

nope, nothing noted, no recall etc, I can and did the approach to help narrow down. i dont feel its unsafe per description, you would know if it got bad and not comfortable to drive, Have him do the listed, hopefully something will surface, It will not be pump fluid etc, its going to be a hard part like tie end or the column ujoint,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Appreciate it!!!

your welcome, Please lv feedback for my service provided, You can STILL come back to this same post with any followups at no charge after feedback, Let me know and thanks!

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician