A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1996 ford e150 crank no start found fuse A in fuse panel

Customer Question

1996 ford e150
crank no start
found fuse A blown in fuse panel under hood replaced fuse and it keeps blowing after 30 sec of engine running
also found that when fuse is blown I have no spark at the ignition coil
says the fuse is for ac heater and keyless entry module
but not sure how that gives me a no start and cranks
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does your E150 have remote keyless entry?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if it does bought it used it only has a reg. key ..but it might how would I know for sure
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The RKE is mounted behind the drivers seat on the side panel. Does it have power door locks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does have power locks and will have to look for rke.
Behind b pillar towards bottom?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is it a stock van or a conversion van?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Club wagon chateau.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. It is stock Ford vehicle. You will have to remove the inside lower trim panel behind the drivers seat on the drivers side. You may have to remove the second row seats to access the panel. The starting circuit goes through the RKE and if the fuse blows, the module is not working and the starting circuit is interrupted causing your problem. But check the wiring around the module and also check the wiring to the rear AC blower motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sending a pic of the modules I see is it the yellow one or black one ...the yellow one say anti theft on it
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your van has anti theft which is the white one and remote keyless entry which is the black box. Unplug the white box and use a paper clip or a spare piece of wire and jump pins 12 and 24 which are the white/pink striped wire and leave the module unplugged. Start the engine with a new fuse and see if the fuse still blows.

Below is a picture of the connector and the wiring pins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok module has two connectors found the one you are talking about but do I unplug both or just the one and will have to run to store for a fuse tomorrow but when I do this how long should it run for and if it does run does that mean the module is dead?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Unplug both. You are jumping the starter circuit with the wire which takes the antitheft module out of the circuit and eliminates it for the test. You can reply back when you are ready. I'll get an email when you do. The truck should stay running if the module is the problem. But if the fuse still blows, we will need to trace that wiring out to find the short.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tested with jumper wire and new fuse
Tried starting and fuse blows right away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need assistance jumped pins and fuse blows still
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. Have been out of town for training for Ford.

Take the jumper wire out and disconnect the battery. Then use a multimeter with it set to ohms. Check both pins 12 and 24 for resistance to ground. Basically place one meter lead on ground and the other lead on either pin and se if you have continuity to ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok pin 24 has .603 M ohms and pin 12 is ol
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Go underneath the vehicle on the drivers side and unplug the transmission range sensor. This is located on the drives side of the transmission where the shifter cable connects and then recheck pin #24 the same way. See if it goes OL.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged range sensor and both pins are ol now
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Look at the range sensor connector and locate the RED/LIGHT BLUE wire and check it the same way. See if it reads OL. Make sure the battery is disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not read ol it shows about 28 ohms and battery is unhooked
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect all the wires from the starter relay on the fender and recheck the wire. Make sure the wires are not touching ground when they are disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will have to do that tomorrow have a short window before it gets dark by the time I get off work and starter relay wires on the fender in engine bay ? And pretty sure I was not touching gnd with other wire but will double check thanks
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the starter solenoid/relay in the engine bay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you have a pic of the location of that relay I can't seem to find a good pic of the fuse panel?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

It is located on the drivers side of the engine bay next to the battery behind the drivers side headlight. See the diagrams below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O ok thank you
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.