Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 expedition with a 5.4 and I wasn't getting any…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 expedition with a 5.4 and I wasn't getting any air out of the vents and it was stuck only hot air coming out of front. I have replaced the arm for the trap door, while blend door assembly, and the actuator. The blower motor seems to be working fine. I turned the key over and turned from hot to cold but the blend door isn't moving. How can I check that first? Best regards

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

There wasn't anything coming out of the vents just a little hot air the blend door wasn't broke I just replaced it because it's a lot of work to take the dash out. I just want to be able to use the heat and cold and get air out of my vents

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/5/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Just to make sure I understand, you can not change the temp.
  2. Are you able to change the air flow direction?
  3. Does the blower work on all speeds?
  4. Can you manually move the blend door by hand with the actuator off and change the temp with ease?
  5. Do you have auto or manual climate control?
no the temperature wont change. the flow wont change. yes the blower is working. the blend door wont move even by hand not the old one or the new one. I have manual control
oh I'm sorry yes the blend door moves with the actuator off and it does change the temperature without the actuator

Is all the air flow stuck blowing out the defrost?

Can you do the test below?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/blenddoor.pdf

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I'm going to check the actuator and control in a little bit cause the blend door still won't work. Maybe the control module itself is bad? The trap door will not open either except manually and then the vents work. I'm thinking if not a bad control module then maybe a vacuum somewhere? Can I check the control module? The floor vents don't work as well

All mode doors that change the direction of air flow are controlled by vacuum. When there is a vacuum loss/leak defrost is all that will work. The only electronic actuator is the blend door. The previous test I sent will check the climate controller.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician