Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 85 f150 with a 5.0 the alternator is going bad I

Customer Question
I have a 85 f150...
I have a 85 f150 with a 5.0 the altornator was going bad I changed the altornator,starter silanoid,battery,voltage regulator and it still won't start and I have no lights? I checked the grounds all good what else am I missing why won't it start???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Will it even crank? or it will crank and not start? is it automatic or manual trans? Thank you.

Manual and no it won't crank at all

Alright, you have a 12 volt test light? or a volt meter by chance?

Alright, there at the starter solenoid you will see a RED/BLUE wire, can you tell me if you get power on this RED/BLUE wire when you turn the key to START position? Also, do you have to push the clutch in all the way on this truck? or has that been bypassed at some point , (the clutch safety switch)?

The truck is in the garage I don't have service out there yes the clutch has to be pushed in to start
After I installed every thing if you push the break pedal it would make a buzzing sound but no power for lights or to start

Alright, is this a 6 cyl? Also, does the instrument cluster light up? like the brake light and alt. light when you turn the key on?

Your sure this battery has 12 volts and is good and charged correct?

5.0 engine v8 when you put the key the normal lights in the dash would come on but soon as you turn the key the go out and it buzz sound
Battery is brand new its good

Alright, I follow you. See if the RED/BLUE wire that pushes onto the S terminal of the Solenoid. (Make sure it's on the S terminal of the solenoid, as I have messed up and put it on I before) See if that wire has power on it when you put the key in START position and push the clutch in while you check it.

on the s terminal no crank just buzzing sound when turn the key

So you do have power on the RED/BLUE wire when the key is in START position? that's going to check our ignition switch and wiring.

If you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, take a small screwdriver and jump the BAT. positive terminal coming from the Battery to the solenoid directly to the S terminal. it might spark a little but that's ok, does it crank then?

I can pull the light switch can light comes on until I turn the switch then just the buzzing sound an lights go off
What would that determine if it cranks? Or if it don't?

If it cranks then, we know our battery cables, grounds, starter, solenoid, all that stuff is working correctly. I'd jump it from the S terminal to the Battery cable terminal at the solenoid. see if cranks then, make sure it's in neutral!

OK will the clutch have to be pushed in even when jumping the silanoid

no it will not, you are jumping the circuit . so be sure it's in NEUTRAL!

If it don't start what could be conclusion or if it does start what is the source of the problem

If it does start, we've got to trace the circuit, if it doesn't start, we've got a bad solenoid or starter motor. You wanna check it and let me know?

Yeah it will be to marrow before I can check it but I'll get back to you thanks for the help

Absolutely, let me know what you find there.