Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key stuck in the ignition of my 2003 Ford Transit. There is…

Customer Question
Key stuck in the...

Key stuck in the ignition of my 2003 Ford Transit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

There is nothing else going on. Never had this happen before. It's been stuck in the ignition for 3 days.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Simply tried to remove the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

Nope. just a normal van

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
If this is helpful, the rear end indicates this is a
Transit Connect
AdvanceTrac
RSC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Does it seem like the key turned back all the way?

Don't know what you mean by "key turned back all the way"Key in the Ignition is fully fuctional; simply unable to remove.

The gear selector lever needs to be fully in park before the key will turn all the way back and be released from the ignition. There could be a problem with the gear selector lever not letting the key release, or the ignition cylinder may be sticking internally. You can try tapping the back of the key with hammer and sometimes this will free up the lock cylinder if it is sticking.

I just put it back in Park (after sitting in drive for a day or so & key came right out.Thanks for your time!

Ok cool. Glad it came out. Sounds like you might have a shift selector that needs to be replaced. Thank you and please rate my service and have a great day.