Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced the ignition switch - the engine turned over but…

Customer Question
I replaced the ignition...

I replaced the ignition switch - the engine turned over but it won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

This is a 98 ford explorer. The original ignition lock broke (metal fatigue) and has been replaced. Lights come on as normal - the engine turns over but doesn't start. Does the key need to be programmed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

As I said - I replaced the original ignition which was worn out

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, since you installed a new ignition lock cylinder with keys they need to be programmed. A locksmith will program keys cheaper than a dealer usually. Once you have the new keys programmed the vehicle will start and run like normal again.

Do I need to take my old key and cylinder to the locksmith as well

You don't. You just need the new keys and they can program them for you.

I only need to take the new ignition key to the locksmith and they will do the rest

They will need your vehicle as well. Some hardware stores can program new keys from the old keys.

Hello, were you able to get the new keys programmed?