Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 escape. After turning ignition key and engine cranked…

Customer Question
2012 escape. After...

2012 escape. After turning ignition key and engine cranked the ignition contues to fire 6-8 times. This intermittent but worrisome

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

That's is the best description I can give :-)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

No I just don't want to sound like an imbecile when I take it in- or get used to fatten someones daily take.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

Only 38k miles, just had new rotors put in, old were rusty they said. Also some kind of degumming dome in the fuel line....

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Just so I'm clear, when you first get in to start the car, you turn the key to START position, and the engine cranks, but it takes 6-8 times before the engine will start and run on it's on? Is that correct? So the problem would be a long cranking before it starts? Just trying to understand your question fully. Let us know, thank you.

No not a long cranking. It cranks quickly but the starter doesn't quit trying to start it when it is already started.
actually it does quit but not until it has tried 6-8 more times and it is intermittent, doesn't always do this

Alright, I follow you, so the starter is hanging up and you get that noise until it disengages.

The problem is most likely the starter motor itself. the bendix gets stuck out and doesn't return as quick as it should,
The only other thing I that comes to mind it could be, would be the starter relay sticking, but I highly doubt that.
You could verify it buy using a 12 volt test light on the small wire at the starter motor, as soon as you start it and the key returns to the RUN position, power should be cut to that wire, If it did not, it may be the starter relay, however, that would be uncommon. If you replace the starter motor I feel confident that will resolve your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

thanks!

Absolutely, Thank you! Let me know if you have any further questions.