Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2003 ford escape. V6 front wheel drive automatic. I…

Customer Question
I have 2003 ford escape...
I have 2003 ford escape. V6 front wheel drive automatic. I replaced the brake power booster and it does not fit like the one I took out. It appears to have gone together fine but there is about 1/4 inch space so the pedal does not return enough to turn off the brake lights. There is a noticable improvement with the braking but still not quite right. It stops perfectly straight. The parking brake works fine. So it seems like a booster adjustment issue but I don't see any way to adjust the booster. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago
Joe Prestia

Hi I'm Joe! I think I can help you with this issue but first can I ask why the booster as replaced originally? and do you still have access to the one you removed?

I replaced the booster because the pedal would go to the floor before stopping and would make a wheezing noise (the new one doesn't do it). I still have the old one but I can't verify if it is a Ford original.
Ford Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

More than likely it was the original. I can't think of any ID markings on even the OE ones. I say "most likely" because in my locale it is somewhat uncommon for a vacuum booster to fail without fluid and rust playing a large part. Are you are were you able to compare the new and old part side by side? and is the new part "motorcraft"? and if so is it ford's motorcraft or autovalue's motorcraft?

I was able to compare and they look identical which led me to believe there may be some adjustment like some of the older ones. It fit on the car fine and everything lined up with no problem except for the brake pedal does not return far enough to shut off the brake lights.
Ford Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

I think you may want to get with the ford dealer with a vin number for this part. My parts window shows me four different options, all left hand drive (I'm assuming that you're in the US.) They are categorized by "feature content group" 1 or 3. I'm not sure if the other two pictured are just old part numbers but I assume so because it only gives me two different prices. The only adjustment that should be made here is to assure that the pushrod is not causing drag by staying applied so I'm guessing that you more likely got the wrong one of what looks like two different parts. Good luck!

Hi Joe,
I went to the dealer (Drum Hill Ford, Lowell, Ma.). I gave them the VIN (1FMYU03123KE21931) and received an new booster; the problem remains; it still does not shut off the brake lights; everything fit fine. Any other ideas?
Ford Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

I'm kind of at a loss here then. It seems like it should be something simple but I'm drawing a blank without having the thing in front of me. I'll opt out so someone else can chime in. Good luck!

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help?
Sure, I would appreciate it very much. Do you have access to the previous thread here stating the problem? -Kevin

In some cases I have and seen others where they disconnected the brake rod from the pedal and either messed with the brake on off switch and or pulled the pedal to far up and this caused the brake switch to no longer function correct. Remove the brake switch and work it in hand to see if it works as it should as well as look at how its mounted to see if its in fact getting pressed while mounted but not braking.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Thanks, ***** ***** take a look at it in the morning. The switch does work (turns on and off) if I put a metal spacer on the pedal shaft. So the switch does function it is just a question of the pedal shaft missing it by less than 0.25"' (falling short). Do you know roughly how far out the switch button should stick out?

I would have to measure a new switch in hand to see that. It is not posted info in Ford repair guides.