Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My dad had the passenger side door ajar and prevented air…

Customer Question
My dad had the...

My dad had the passenger side door ajar and prevented air compressor for the air suspension to go on in my 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bower Ed.. When I noticed it the car was getting very bouncy because of no air in the system. It doesn't reset or go up like it says if your in 4L. Is there a reset I'm missing? No fuse is blown. and service switch is on. Is there a calibration procedure?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes I'm very mechanically inclined and verse in wiring and have my own shop. I did have to drive it for about 50 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Nothing other than disconnecting battery and check fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

It did sometimes list on the right side if it wasn't used for awhile but did level out

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

A fault code may have set related to this issue here.In some cases all that is needed is to have a scan tool hooked up to your vehicle to check the codes set in the suspension system and the codes may just need to be cleared out with the scan tool to correct this fault.If a code will not clear out then it will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault.On some of these models here the suspension system may need recalibrated with a scan tool in order for the suspension system to operate properly.

I would start with having the codes checked first to see if any need diagnosed and repaired and to see if they just need cleared out and the suspension possibly calibrated with the scan tool as some models have this feature.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

ty ill try that just purchased a new one however someone had told me there was some calibration that could be done using the ignition and something like when the security gets tripped is that true? off to scan be back soon
Chuck

I dont see a manual way to calibrate this myself.Usually this has to be done with a scan tool that can communicate with the suspension system and has this feature to do this calibration as well.A scan tool that can communicate with the suspension computer is also needed to check the codes and clear them.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

weird but compressor went on and pumped up. it would not at all last night I did nothing. However on the info center low tire pressure and check air suspension is still flashing even though the tires are fine and the car suspension is up(this has been on all the time) cant clear it. There were and are no DTC's. to reset. TY Chuck

Were the codes checked using a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in your model here as some scan tools will only read the engine computer?

I believe so. just got it and first time using it it does OBDii /CAN +ABS but had no errors

O.k.,this usually wont check the suspension computer.This usually takes a high dollar scan tool to check the codes in the suspension computer or a dealers scan tool to do this.I would have the codes re checked using a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle then from there the codes cleared out to see if they come back and if any do come back the codes that come back will need diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue here.

Thanks Pete

there are many tests this can do 17 of them to be exact what test code do I look for

The codes that would come up would be C codes and on a scan tool that can communicate with the suspension computer you usually have to scroll through the scan tool build after you have entered the vehicle into to then see the suspension computer and select it then it can read the codes from there.

There is a large number of different codes that can set here so its difficult to say for sure which codes you would see but usually they start with the letter C.I dont think your scan tool has this ability as not to many after market scan tools do have this ability unless it is a high dollar scan tool.

Thanks Pete

is it considered a computer or module?

It is considered both but most consider it as a computer.The actual name for it is the Air Suspension Control Module.

Thanks Pete

this is not the answer really I'm looking for as I put in the description of my issue and this site said it knew what the problem is. telling me t hook up a computer is obvious and I don't need to pay for that advise. The answer I'm looking for is why does it tell me IK have low tire pressure and check air suspension. There are no codes to clear I need to know what triggers those warnings as its affecting the air suspension

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're seeing a check air suspension warning that means there are fault codes set in the air suspension module for sure. The module has seen an issue that will prevent proper system operation, has set a fault code, disabled the system and is displaying the warning to alert you a repair is needed.

There are many possible causes for this including the compressor or the module itself, a height sensor, a control solenoid, the compressor relay or wiring to any of the components, or damage/leakage in any of the air shocks, lines or fittings.

If no visible problems can be found with any of the components or wiring then the first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are setting in the module. An OBDII code reader is able to communicate with the engine controller and in some cases ABS when specifically stated, but it won't be able to communicate with any of the other modules on a vehicle. An actual scan tool would be necessary.