Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Change he battery in a 1999 ford explore and the push button…

Customer Question
Change he battery in...

Change he battery in a 1999 ford explore and the push button code does not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The car is running I went into the gas station came out tried to get in using the code buttons on the car and they don't work. I have just changed the battery on the car

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your keypad needs reprogrammed.You should have a permanent code on a card in the owners manual info.You can use this card code to enter the vehile with the key pad then program a new code to it.Here is the procedure on how to program it.

To program a temporary access code: ^ Enter the permanent code on the keyless entry keypad. ^ Press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds of last digit of permanent code. (This alerts system to accept temporary code.) ^ Enter alternate 5-digit code. Do not exceed 5 seconds between entering digits or between pressing the 1/2 button and entering the first digit. If equipped with two step unlocking: To unlock the driver door, enter the permanent factory code or enter the owner's alternate code. To unlock the passenger door(s) and liftgate, press the 3/4 button within five seconds of unlocking the driver door. If not equipped with two step unlocking: To unlock all the doors and the liftgate, enter the permanent factory code or enter the owner's alternate code. To lock all doors, press the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time. (It is not necessary to enter the key code first.) This will turn off courtesy lamps. NOTE: The doors will not lock if the vehicle is started in neutral and passed into any forward gear.

If this does not work then you have a fault code set in the computers and the codes need read out with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set may just need cleared out then the key pad reprogrammed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician