Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Was trying to just read all I could and not bother anyone I…

Customer Question
Hello was trying to...

Hello was trying to just read all I could and not bother anyone I have a 93 f350 7.3 with 332,000 ***** ***** running great until last week. cold starts take a awhile but then its fine, but once going (driving) slow for light or turn and it just dies, then will start right back up. My first diesel, was going to try ignition switch and fuel filter first. Any ideas thanks in advance. ken forte

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Truck starts fine no check engine lights, all fluids changed, once in gear 5sp tranny, it just dies or stalls out when I come to stop or just turn, then I push In clutch and it fires back up.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I put in credit card information, are you still there?
3/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: John Vieira, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic

I am here and just reading through your post now, just a sec.

Possibles: It could be sucking air.

It could be the injection pump actually being bad, which it could very well be.

Sucking air means to fix: you need to put a clear line in place of the fuel filter return hose and check for air bubbles in the system.

If there is no air in that return line, take the return fitting off of the fuel injection pump. Remove the straight adapter that is between the elbow and the pump get a white sheet of paper clean and tap the fitting on the paper looking for bits of metal. If there is bits of metal on the paper, then you need a new injection pump.