Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Ford Expedition 2003 it ran fine one day and would…

Customer Question
I have a Ford Expedition...
I have a Ford Expedition 2003 it ran fine one day and would not start the next. I have changed the fuel. Pump, spark plugs, fuel filter and crankshaft sensor. Still it will not start. I gave it a spray of starter fluid and it won't turn over. It has been put on a diagnostic and there were no codes given and no check engine light is on. The alternator is about 7 months old and it has a battery that's about the same. Are they any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
3/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: John Vieira, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic

Hi I can help you today. What is the fuel pressure like? When you turn the key to the on position, does the check engine light prove out, does it come on then go back off like it is supposed to?

it does we checked for fuel pressure and it is definitely flowing, it cranks like it wants to start but it won't turn completely over.

That vehicle should have 40-50 psi (fuel Pressure), normally, I'd like to know exactly what the fuel pressure is because it is critical on how I am going to help you, but if you don't know exactly the fuel pressure, then we will shoot in the dark a little bit. Let me know if you have the exact fuel pressure reading, thanks. If it is trying to start, we can also check out the spark plugs and see if they are fouled out. I am sure you already checked that. I also have more ideas.

I don't know the exact fuel pressure but we also changed all the spark plugs. The fuel pump and fuel filter is new. Before the change it was not coming on so that was the first change.

Have you had a chance to check for a plugged exhaust system?

Possibles: the catalytic converter plugged. If it is plugged, it won't allow the engine to start. I am headed to the Ford Diag. website to check out more symptoms-causes, what size engine do you have? 6.8 L? V-10?

I have the 5.4 Triton

okay I am on it. Give me 5 mins

Thanks
Anything yet?

I am running through the diagnostics and I hit a wall when I need to know the exact fuel pressure, so I guess I will opt now for now or we can do the over the phone thing and I can ask you all the questions the FOrd Website is asking me, much easier.