Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Brake lights and /u lights on 1983 Ford F-150 are not

Customer Question
Brake lights and b/u...

Brake lights and b/u lights on 1983 Ford F-150 are not working. Tail lights are. Checked the fuse, the bulbs and they are okay

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Should I check the ground on it? If so, how?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Hope to

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?

Old farm truck, now Senior in High schooler's truck

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/29/2016
Ford Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic

Most likely the brake light switch is bad. Look under the dash at the top of the brake pedal and you will see a switch that gets pushed when the brake pedal is applied.

Unplug the connector and jumper the 2 wires that you unplugged together with a paper clip or a small piece of wire and see if the brake lights come on. If they do, replace the switch.

The reverse lights are on a different circuit and they get power from the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission (if its an automatic trans)

Have you had a chance to jumper those 2 wires?

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic