Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced radiator, thermostat, water pump. engine is

Customer Question
Replaced radiator, thermostat, water...

Replaced radiator, thermostat, water pump. engine is overheating. It passed an air sampling test that says head gasket not blown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Overheats sporadically.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Depends on solution.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

Oil level is full so it's not oil problem. It can run for 100 miles no problem. Typically overheats on short runs after engine is cool.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/29/2016
Ford Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

what is the year,make and model
?

how/when did this problem first begin?

tell me all you can

2003 F250 5.4 L Triton.
Started when I noticed small crack on top of radiator. Mechanic (AAA) replaced radiator, thermostat, and water pump. They tested air in coolant for combustion products - none.
Heater hoses get hot when heater is running but heater air has been an indicator when it may overheat - hot air turns to cold (winter here).
Initially seemed like a stuck thermostat which was replaced. Air seems to be constantly in the system. Typically happens more after sitting overnight but may or may not happen on short drives. Just drove it 200 miles without a problem but major air in system the next morning.
Oil level is good and not chocolate milk.
all started about 1 - 2 weeks ago.
Thermostat was replaced last thursday, radiator and pump on friday.
There appears to be a smaller than pin hole and a drop or two of coolant coming from the side of the thermostat housing. That seems so small. pressure is in system always. Housing will be replaced today if part comes in Ford dealer.

ok,,sense work has been done on the coolijng system,you may now have air in the system,,lets bleed it this way

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes

.

if this dont fix you im going to think you may have blown head gaskets

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

lame

?..lame?

tims auto repair
tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic