Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Oil light. i think it's an oil pressure issue, i know u have

Customer Question
oil light. i think its...
oil light. i think its an oil pressure issue
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i know u have automated replies, which is ok. an oil pressure light is an issue that might have several causes. i wanted to get advice on the best course of action. If i have to replace the pump i will do it myself, but its a little out of my range. I know good advice isnt free. thanks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: the automated advice is making me nervous
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

What year and model Ford are you working on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2001 windstar

It may be just a bad oil pressure switch. If the engine is not making any ticking noises when the engine is running and the light is on, then replace the oil pressure switch. But if the engine is ticking when the oil light is on, then the oil pump may fix it, but make sure the engine is not sludge up blocking the oil passages in the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i only drive about 5 miles at a time. So it hasnt been a huge issue. But I
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no ticking. thats what i thought, about the sludge issue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the oil is good but i think it was replaced before i bought the car, so it doesnt help me diagnose
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just want to stay ahead of the issue. I typically buy 1000 dollar vehicles because we are on a shoestring budget

The oil pressure switch is really just an on off switch. When oil pressure hits it, it closes a path to ground to move the gauge and /or turn the light off. You can remove the sensor and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the opening and check the actual oil pressure. It should be 25 psi at idle and up to 60 psi at 2500 rpms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a way to flush the oil aaside from running mineral oil and draining it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that sounds like the problem

There are companies out there that can do engine flushes for you. You will have to call around.. I would not recommend doing it yourself as it could damage the engine if done wrong.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ill look into the switch. i dont have enough experience to make an educated decision which is why i wanted to get the best advice to start in the right direction

Ok, I completely understand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unfortunately you have to work with what ur given. Will u keep giving me advice as i solve this problem over the next few days?

Sure can, just reply back on this page.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
perfect. thank you

Your very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any special tips aside from watching you tube videos to replace the switch. or to know if that is the issue before i buy parts i may not need.
My name is***** you for your help

No tips off hand at this moment. But the directions for the sensor are below.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you would suggest that i replace the sensor as a first step (hopefully last as well)?

Yes, if the oil is clean and full on the dipstick, replace the sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

Your very welcome. thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
working on the issue aside and working in the customer service industry myself is there a review that I can complete to make ur life easier?

Not that I know of right now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
May I also have this info.
1. Remove the generator. For additional information, refer to Section 414-02.

See below.

A. Penland
A. Penland