Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I need help with a fuel level data error I have dropped tank

Customer Question
and checked sending unit, not...
i need help with a fuel level data error I have dropped tank and checked sending unit, not bad I get the code with my cluster out as well
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my instrument panel has a fuel level data error does not matter how much fuel is in tank the ohm reading at the cluster is what it should be
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
2/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

What year and model Ford are you working on and what is the actual code you have? Example P2342

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2006 f350 diesel no vofes just fuel level data error on cluster

Thank you. I am not a diesel expert so I will reopen your question to the diesel experts.

Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, does the fuel level read empty at all times?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have eliminated the sending unit, I have new one and it reads exactly the same as the one in the vehicle.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I remove battery, error goes away for about one minute then right back

The only really possibility left is either a bad wire between the sending unit and the cluster. The other option is the cluster could have failed. I would recommend having a shop performing an on demand test on the instrument cluster. You will probably find a broken wire though between the sending unit and cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can read ohms from the cluster connector, I tested it with a new sending unit, this eliminated a broken wire, I could move the sending unit and watch the ohms change

Ok if you tested the wires at the cluster then your cluster has failed. If you contact Ford they have an exchange program for clusters. This cluster will have to be programmed to the vehicle to ensure proper operation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a new cluster with lifetime guarantee

Has it been programmed?

If it has been programmed to the vehicle itself it won't work correctly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has been programmed with my miles and everything

I would recommend having them sending you another cluster because it's not working correctly. You have good wiring and sending unit. All you have left in the system in a faulty cluster. The cluster aren't direct plug and play and that can still be the issue. The mileage is programmed in but it doesn't match the vin. If they are able to do that the reman or new cluster is still defective and will need to be swapped again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would flashing pcm fix issue?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kswzfd2rnnkxo0d/2016-02-28%2021.33.54.jpg?dl=0

Here is the wire diagram. It is wired directly to the cluster. The PCM won't affect it. It could be a pin fit at the cluster. If the pins for the sending unit are wore out even by a paper clip it can cause the issue. If there isn't a pin fit concern it goes back to the cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a TSB regarding the P0460 fuel issue which I had at one point that error

Correct there is. That is for faulty fuel level sensors which you don't have according to your testing

Hello, were you able to get your cluster working correctly?

James, Ford Technician