Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Ford F-250. Momentarily starts if I spray gas into

Customer Question
throttle. Relays and fuses good...
2000 Ford F-250. Momentarily starts if I spray gas into throttle. Relays and fuses good. Fuel pump?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
2/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Sounds like a fuel pump problem. Check for power at the fuel pump inertia switch with it plugged in on the DARK GREEN/YELLOW striped wire and the PINK/BLACK striped wire while cranking the engine. If you do it with the key on, you will only get power there for 3 to 5 seconds. If you have power, then the fuel pump is the problem. But if not, then we need to look back at the relay, fuse and wiring.

How hard is it to replace the fuel pump? I don't have a lift. Drop the tank or remove the bed of the truck? How much would a mechanic charge?

If you have a couple of friends to help you lift the bed off, it would be easier. Other wise you will have to lower the tank. A mechanic will charge 2.0 flat rate hours to replace the pump.

Ok cool. This will take me a while (few weeks) to go through. Do we keep this open?

You can reply back on this page. Not sure if it will stay open for a few weeks thogh.