Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ran out of gas in f250 ,put. 5 gallons in..still won't

Customer Question
Ran out of gas...

Ran out of gas in f 250 ,put. 5 gallons in..still won't start Vel'teena

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That's all I know ran out of gas in the 2012 Ford 250 ,super duty

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

From your description it sounds like the fuel pump has seized due to low fuel level. Either that or there was sediment in the bottom of the tank that clogged the pick up strainer or fuel filter. You might try banging the bottom of the tank with a mallet while an assistant cranks the engine. Sometimes this will jar the pump enough to get it working again. If that does not work then the next step would be to check for fuel pressure. You can also check fuse 66 in the underhood fusebox. I'm assuming this is a gas engine. If its a diesel then the entire system is airlocked if it ran out fuel.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.