James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a F, I have a Ford Escape hybrid with just over

Customer Question

I have a F
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: I have a Ford Escape hybrid with just over 100,000 miles on it and it has begun to shake and make a grinding noise under the car when I accelerate, when I am accelerating up hill it's worse and also when I use the cruise control. I am afraid to drive it. It's been about two weeks since it started this. What could be wrong?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I am hoping to understand what the problem may be so I can decide if my usual guy who works on my cars can deal with this or if I need to take it to the Ford Dealership whom I do not trust.
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: No I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does the noise get worse while you are braking? Does the sound get worse the faster you drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the noise doesn't change during braking and it does get worse the faster I go and worse yet when I am on any kind of incline no matter what the speed. Plus when cruise control is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some days it's worse than others. I have a*****to work each way. No idea why it would change but some days it's worse than others
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Based off of the information you provided I would suspect a faulty wheel bearing. Sometimes trying to pinpoint each wheel can be difficult. This is due to noise transfer. I would lift up each individual and rotate them for a noise. If the noise is that bad you should be able to hear it fairly easy. Once you isolate the location you can repair the wheel bearing so your noise will go away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will tell my
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turned out to be the front axle needed to be replaced not a wheel bearing but it could have been the axle the bearings the cv joint so good guess. Thanks
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

A cv joint will usually be worse when turning.